Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

A Mix Of Minor & Major Questions That I Have?

Hi, I'm planning on purchasing the HEQ5 Pro + SW 200P with all the addition components to start AP... I have a few questions that I's like to ask that have been pestering me and not sure weather they matter. Here's a list...

1) Storage - I plan to clear my garage and put the setup in there when not in use, is this advisable or are certain conditions required... also is there any specific way that I need to store my power supply it the http://www.firstlightoptics.com/power/maplins-xm21x-7a-138v-regulated-mains-power-supply.html ... I've read a bit about this but not entirely sure on how to store it ?

2) level Of The Ground - I have a average sized garden with both patio and grass, now the grass is level to a degree meaning its generally flat, but being specific its not perfectly level. As for my patio there is certainly a slope but its pretty much all level. However where its perfectly level is where I'm directly next to the house which could obstruct me from seeing many object in the sky... sorry for being fussy but does the smallest change in level affect the tracking system?

3) As I am imaging with a DSLR and imaging DSO its sensors will be subjected to dust? and this could have consequences? How can I prevent or minimize these consequences... if there even are any, i may have it all wrong and theres no risk what soever... but thats why i'm asking :)

4) Finally - I'd like to keep my equipment in tip top shape... what things should I be aware of that could effect its performance? For example there is a specific way to clean the primary mirror which I have seen on you tube.

Thanks a lot fellow stargazers ;)

- Alex

A dry garage is a perfect place to store your scope.

Find the best spot in the garden and make a permanent place to put the tripod by marking out the positions of the tripod feet so you can always be sure you put it back the same way every time. Once you have it in place, leveled off and aligned you should be able to return to the same spot time and again without having to re-align for North.

Take the normal precautions for protecting your camera gear, hold the camera open side downwards when transferring to and from the scope and cover up when not in use.

Damp will be an issue, store the scope level after use with the cap off the front to let it dry out, level so that dust will not fall into the tube and onto the mirror.

Avoid cleaning the mirror with anything, they have very delicate silvering.

I'm sure others will come along with more and better advice :)

Hi, I'm planning on purchasing the HEQ5 Pro + SW 200P with all the addition components to start AP... I have a few questions that I's like to ask that have been pestering me and not sure weather they matter. Here's a list...

1) Storage - I plan to clear my garage and put the setup in there when not in use, is this advisable or are certain conditions required... also is there any specific way that I need to store my power supply it the http://www.firstligh...wer-supply.html ... I've read a bit about this but not entirely sure on how to store it ?

2) level Of The Ground - I have a average sized garden with both patio and grass, now the grass is level to a degree meaning its generally flat, but being specific its not perfectly level. As for my patio there is certainly a slope but its pretty much all level. However where its perfectly level is where I'm directly next to the house which could obstruct me from seeing many object in the sky... sorry for being fussy but does the smallest change in level affect the tracking system?

3) As I am imaging with a DSLR and imaging DSO its sensors will be subjected to dust? and this could have consequences? How can I prevent or minimize these consequences... if there even are any, i may have it all wrong and theres no risk what soever... but thats why i'm asking :)

4) Finally - I'd like to keep my equipment in tip top shape... what things should I be aware of that could effect its performance? For example there is a specific way to clean the primary mirror which I have seen on you tube.

Thanks a lot fellow stargazers ;)

- Alex

1. I keep my psu in a weatherproof box like this one http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B003O2X6T8/ref=pe_208861_34580121_email_1p_0_ti

2. The mount does not need to be perfectly level to track accurately, equatorial mounts don't need this. Just adjust the length of the tripod legs to get the top of the tripod reasonably level.

3. Dust can be removed by the use of a rocket blower or compensated for by shooting "flat frames".

4. Only clean the mirror when you can no longer see your reflection.

Archived