Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Hyperion 8-24mm Zoom pros and cons

Andrew*

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Haven't had a Hyperion Zoom. Did enjoy the Teleview 8-24 Zoom, but (mostly for financial reasons at the time!) had to "let it go". My recollection was that it showed a certain amount of blackout, some daylight "ring o' fire", at the edges and, for me (occasional glasses user), middlin' (tho' not overly restrictive) eye relief. The light transmission seemed very good and the finish was superlative. Overall, as good a lens as (m)any of my other ones! The observations re. limited AFoV at 24mm etc. are common and inherent to (most of) the species. It wouldn't surprise me if someone has already done the usual "shoot out" over on CN? But the good news is that MOST eyepiece "problems" are reduced in a slower scope... like the MAK127. I do remember a MAK90 (sic) + a (surprisingly lightweight) TV Zoom made a great ultra-portable setup. :D

I'm planning on buying a skymax 127 and was thinking of getting a zoom eyepiece to go with it.

The Baader Zooms seem to be getting the best write-ups, but I was wondering if anyone would recommend a different model/manufacturer?

You might consider the SW 7-21 or the WO 8-24 zooms. I use both and both do the job,very good for Luna viewing,the WO having a wider FOV but much more expensive.

CW

Cheers for the opinions both,

I was looking at getting the skymax primarily for observing the moon + planets along with occasional DSO chasing (double stars + glob clusters).

For the wider field stuff I've picked up a TV 32mm plossl. Had my first go with it on friday night and was very impressed with the clear resolution to the edge of the field. Could see more through this than through either of the 10mm & 25mm plossls that I borrowed with the scope (a short f/l 80mm refractor).

The WO zoom did look good (and is a little cheaper than the Baader - although theres only 10-20 quid in it). Heard mixed things on the cheaper SW one.

The Televue/Meade seemed to be the best on the market until the Baader came out, but there's not that many zoom comparison reviews out there....

• 1 month later...

I have been thinking of the Hyperion Zoom but am anxious that using it will unsettle a sensitive telescope such as the NexStar 8SE. I realise its better than constantly swapping eyepieces but a zoom may encourage more motions. I read that these scopes are sensitive to wobble damping so has anyone had experiences of using this combo? Or is it better to stick with separate EP's?

Thanks

I personally don't think there will be such an issue with this, even though I have never even seen a C8! People hang kilos of imaging equipment off C8s, so it should handle an eyepiece like this no problems. The zoom is still quite reasonably sized, especially against some of the 2" eyepieces you can get.

Cheers

Andrew

Yes, they're [Hyperions] not THAT heavy and I doubt MANY people check the balance of equatorial (sic) mounts! But, if you do want to be sure here (avoid potential for strained drives or [vaguely] possible stripped gears?) check and adjust the scope's fore-aft balance, by sliding the whole assembly on the dovetail bar??? Alternatively to factor out off-axis component completely, a small counter weight slung under the nose of the scope? Of course, you are then adding to the TOTAL weight. I guess personal disgression dictates... :wink:

Sorry I was not clear - it wasn't the weight that concerned me but reviews of the Nexstar 8SE seem to suggest that slight taps on the telescope sets a motion thatn "dampens" down before you get a clear view. With the click stop HP zoom I wondered if this affected the use (ie click then wait a bit to see then click then wait etc).

A bit concerned over the kidney bean issue - at £160 these zooms are not cheap and I don't want to be constantly dancing around the eyepiece! Perhaps they are best for large bright objects?

Sorry I was not clear - it wasn't the weight that concerned me but reviews of the Nexstar 8SE seem to suggest that slight taps on the telescope sets a motion thatn "dampens" down before you get a clear view. With the click stop HP zoom I wondered if this affected the use (ie click then wait a bit to see then click then wait etc).

A bit concerned over the kidney bean issue - at £160 these zooms are not cheap and I don't want to be constantly dancing around the eyepiece! Perhaps they are best for large bright objects?

Well, £149 from FLO, and if you give him a call, there may be a discount available...

I have been using this eyepiece for a while now and can safely say that the kidney beaning is not too serious, and I've got quite used to getting correct eye placement. I also realise that I'm probably quite sensitive to this issue, and you may well find it never bothers you...

WRT the movement, I use it in my 8" newt, which I can assure you, suffers more from knocks to the tube than the 8SE. I don't have a problem with this. What little movement there is from the smooth zoom action dies down quite soon.

HTH

Andrew

I have a NexStar 8SE and the EP that I tend to use most is the BH 8-24mm zoom. It's a great EP and very convenient. The 24mm is not so good though, where the FOV closes down to around 50°. So, for wide angle viewing, I switch to a TV 24mm pan.

I've had no real problems with vibration/damping with this scope. Yes, the image shakes a bit when you touch the scope or the EP but to me it's not a issue as the vibration dies away very quickly. I did, however, have to tighten the altitude axis nut when my GOTO accuracy deteriorated after adding a WO 2" diagonal, 8-24mm zoom, Baader V RDF and dewshield. GOTOs are now spot on again.

I also find the focussing knob very sensitive at high magnification so I intend changing this for a Starlight Feathertouch Microfocuser.

Archived