Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

help scb2000

shirva

Hi folks..got the camera now..looking for help..st102 with diag and camera elec focusser I can't get image of moon to focus. .big bright blob...removed diag. .can see a did a change but still basically a white blob.tried putting a Barlow x2 in on these configs and no diff..had probs with wiring in afternoon (bad connection on cigar lighter plug)can get a focussed image of tree branches 60ft away no probs..had similar prob direct fitting dslr to the 102 and had to fit extension tube to cure..was too cold last night to try any other settings or bits..

Any help welcome

Does anybody have settings for the camera as well

Davy

Hi Davy

Can you get the camera to focus on a distant object in day light?

If you can then you need to have a look at the camera settings.

I always use manual exposure - this gives you more control, especially with very bright targets such as the moon. Reduce the exposure until you can see detail on the moon then re-focus.

For DSO work set the AGC to HIGH, you can probably turn it off or low for the moon.

Start with the SDDR and SSNR OFF, then turn each on on and increase the settings until you get the best picture. I usually have both set to the mid point, but disable both until I have the target centred and the focus adjusted.

Even in manual mode, the camera will try adjust the image, especially if you enable SDDR and SNNR.

Bear in mind that at x512 sense-up (manual exposure setting) the picture updates every 8 or 10 seconds depending upon the video standard (NTSC/PAL), if you turn on SSNR then it can take several minutes for the picture to stabilise and the noise reduction to work it's magic.

If all you see is a bright white background then you need to reduce the exposure.

To be honest, these cameras are not great on the moon or planets as they use interlaced video, people get much better results with a web cam.

However if you remove the standard IR filter and use a 1.25" Astro specific one then point the camera at brighter DSOs then they really come into their own. Run at F4 or less and you should get reasonable results - a low cost reducer on the nose piece can make a huge difference.

Hope this helps.

Paul

Hi Paul..believe it ir not craking view of sky east. .south..west. ..but trees at level and three storey building behind and no landmarks in distance to focus on..what type of scope are you using the scb2000 on..and did you need extension tube.

Its the pal version I have..had seen on utube somebody imaged Jupiter not to bad...I was hoping on getting widefield type shots..with the 102 wasn't going to use a focal reducer if I could get away without it ..dso would be no1 ...think I have been impatient looking for instant images on the screen like turning on a tv..have been switching back n forward with the watec 202d and was gettin better results on moon this afternoon with a security camera lens than the Samsung. .going to set up the 102 again and try your settings on a dso and let it track n record...

Mist rolled in again back to waiting game. ..rigged up a monitor to camera in doors..sticking in your settings Paul...nice steady image indoors using a Honeywell hlm28v8f95 lens ..2.8 - 8mm/f0.95 1/3" ..

Hi Davy

I've used mine on a SW102 MAK, and a C8 both have very large focus range. I've also used it in the Celestron travel scope and needed an extension tube or diagonal.

The ST102 at F5 should be OK without a reducer.

HTH

Paul

Cheers again Paul. .set camera up looking out onto back garden and put lights out...amazing can see near pitch black areas could not believe how good and sensitive it is..swapped with the watec 202d it picked up street light about sixty feet away as a torch light...no comparison what so ever..wouldn't mind the watec 902h it must be even better. ..only need clear skies now

Cheers again Paul. .set camera up looking out onto back garden and put lights out...amazing can see near pitch black areas could not believe how good and sensitive it is..swapped with the watec 202d it picked up street light about sixty feet away as a torch light...no comparison what so ever..wouldn't mind the watec 902h it must be even better. ..only need clear skies now

Hi Paul..had the st102 combo out last night..could not pick up stars with the scope..piggyback camera on scope with the Honeywell lens can pick up stars no probs just toiled wide fov..back on scope tried without diagonal no joy ..tried a erecting tube without lens no joy..sw x2 Barlow with lens out could get craters on terminator of moon. .bingo..set exposure from 50 to 1000 yeha image on moon no probs faster than 1000 gave under exposure. .would recommend a focal reducer was picking up about a third of moon had used a 9.5 lens to help getting focus close for camera. Got approx 4000 frames to play around with in registax . Going to conce ntrate on moon till more confident with set up....will req better polar alignment I noticed ..happy its coming together will post my findings that may help others thinking of this combo...cheers again Paul

Hi Davy

Bear in mind that a focal reducer will move the focus further back and you may need a longer extension tube.

Try a Barlow with the lens in on the moon or even Jupiter should move the focus in.

Glad you're making progress.

Clear skies

Paul

Hi Davy

Sorry - just had a quick test in day light - the focal reducer moves the focus point in towards the main objective. on my INED 70 I had to use an extension tube to reach focus with the camera and no reducer. With the reducer I could reach focus OK. (This is opposite to what I said earlier!).

Paul

Hi Paul. .cheers on info...

Poss looking for new scope...really impressed by the scb2000. .the fact I had option to crank it up from 50 to 1000 and it was exposing really well has want to continue on video astronomy..the ca on the st102 is bad and would like a cleaner image. .

The scope will have to run on a eq3/2 pro. ..

I know everyone has there prefs and beliefs that you can't have a general scope to do all but lets get close.

Would like to use the Samsung scb2000 but have s canon 400d with t ring ect timer/exposure to utilize

Looking to image moon and deep sky

Was looking at obvious contender Sw ed80

Or Williams magres 72

Outsider. ..Sw quattro 8" steel tube...ok I know about eq3 not good enough. .but extra weight on counter balance and tripod not extended in enclosed garden. Tried and tested ok for a year.

Any other contenders. .

What scopes are having success with the scb2000

Davy

• 4 weeks later...

Davy,

I have been using the 2000 for about a year now. To get the moon, I take the senseup all the way down to 2.

If that doesn't allow focus, turn off the sense up and use manuel shutter. Keep adjusting till it begins to brighten up a bit and then focus. Worked for me.

Dennis

Cheers denied

I got the ed80 pro and delighted with it...only had dslr on it so far weather poor...hopefully can try it today. ..do you use a focal reducer with your scb2000. ...Davy

Archived