Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Jupiter in the mist (almost Fog)

Scooot

I put my scope out optimistically about 6 when it was reasonably clear but with one thing and another I didn't venture outside until just after 8. By this time the conditions were pretty awful so I thought I'd have a quick look at Jupiter and the moon and then come in.

To give you an idea the only stars I could see looking towards orion were Rigel, a little hint of Betelgeuse, Procyon and higher up Castor and Pollux, that's about it.

I went to Jupiter first with my 17.3mm and I was immediately struck by the thought that it was quite good, quite sharp. The background sky was awful, very washed out, but nevertheless the planet was good. So I changed to the 10mm, this was still very good. I could clearly see all the main bands and was pleasantly surprised to see Io's shadow transiting. So I carried on looking feeling amazed at the view given the conditions. As I was watching I then thought I could see the GRS, IO's shadow was almost on it. At this point I thought I've got to try the Barlow. So I left the platform tracking whilst I nipped indoors to get it. To my surprise the view was just as good, and now the GRS was as clear as it could be, I could see the undulations in the band just below it (in the eyepiece) and the thinner band just above.

I spent about 45 mins watching until IO's shadow disappeared off the edge, I didn't bother with the moon at all and then came in.

i've seen Jupiter many times before but never in what seemed to be such terrible conditions. I would never had even bothered to look had I not already put the scope out.

I've since had a look at the weather forecast on Sky Harbinger for my area and I've noticed the transparency is very good tonight. So apart from the obvious of having a cooled scope etc I'm putting it down to good transparency, even though it was foggy.

Anyway that's it, felt I needed to share it.

yep, i was hopeing for some chance to get some observing in tonight. but conditions went from poor to pants ! had a look at jupiter and the moons terminator for an hour ,thats about it.

the orion nebula was almost invisible,thats how bad it was .

Archived