Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Jupiter 18/02/2013 GRS and shadow

catman161

Equipment; 200P, NEQ6 Pro, Philips SPC900NC with IR/UV cut filter and TV 2x 2 inch Powermate. Hope you like them, any advice apreciated. These were all taken from my city centre, light polluted back yard.

After last nights success I fancied another go and saw that a moon was casting a shadow so ran inside and grabbed the laptop and webcam and got a couple of avis.

Taken in sharpcap and stacked in registax 5.1 Best 95% of 1500 frames on each.

Cheers

post-19290-0-23686500-1361224350_thumb.p

post-19290-0-64508700-1361224359_thumb.p

Super images. Did you stack them with drizzle?

I might be wrong, but I think Io (the shadow) is just over the eastern edge of Jupiter. The other two moons are Callisto and Ganymede. When I zoom in I can see something bright and round at the same latitude as the GRS but on the left, I think this is Io, before it leaves the disc. If you took that picture at about 8pm that will definitely be the case.

Robin

Hi,

Drizzle increases the number of pixels in the picture by interpolating between the real pixels and synthesises false ones in between. Although this doesn't actually produce any more real detail, it reduces the pixel size and gives the impression of greater resolution. I use it in Registax 5.1 on nearly all my pictures and it usually produces a more pleasing picture, even if it does lengthen out the stacking process.

To enable Drizzle in Registax 5.1, align as normal, then after you press 'limit' it is on the left hand side in one of the menus. Just expand the right menu and switch it on. In Registax 6 it is in an option box on the top marked 'filters'.

Generally, you will need to use high Wavelet settings with drizzle enabled and in post processing I would also reduce the size ofthe picture back down by say 75%. This will make the pixels disappear and give you a smoother picture.

You can try it by aligning one avi without Drizzle, note the frame you used as a reference and then re-run with the same reference frame and enable drizzle, see which one you like best.

Robin

Archived