NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Canon 70-200 F4L

skysculptor

Still new to all this, but I have used a 70-200 f2.8 IS L for astro work on a unmodded 1100D.

The IS is turned off for astro, so the difference is f4 and f2.8 bewteen the 2.

Here's M31 taken with a 70-200 f2.8, I'm sure there are better examples around, but it'll give a you an idea of what is possible with Canon's L glass.

HTH,

Grahame.

8209886175_be6d455266_z.jpg

Seems from the images that you guys are taking that this lens performs pretty well on the stars, I knew it was good as a terrestrial lens as iv'e borrowed one before. I thought about the tripod ring and was amazed at how much canon wanted for one! I have seen however after market ones for £10 on ebay so maybe give one of those a try first.

I had the 70-200 F4L for a while its OK it wasnt that parafocal when it came to astro use although this is probably as a result of using an in-body LP filter.. You needed to focus at the imaging focal length rather than zooming in focusing and then zooming out...

Definitely needed to shoot flats as the vignetting gradient wasn't central...

Lens mounts - The cheap ones can be of "variable" quality .. some of them are plastic and quite flimsy but there are some decent alloy ones out there for not a lot of money... there was a thread in the Photography suba while ago where I listed a decent one on ebay havign previously ended up with a plastic one...

Here's a link to the thread...

http://stargazerslounge.com/topic/141694-finally-a-decent-cheap-canon-tripod-collar/page__hl__+collar#entry1419422

I sold the lens on to help fund a 100-400/F4.5-5.6 L IS USM...

Peter...

Hi,

Has anybody any experience of using this lens for astrophotography, I plan on getting one for my normal terrestrial photography but am wondering if it would be a good performer on the Stars?

your experiences are much appreciated

Hi,

I don't use this lens for AP but as someone with over 20 years of photographic experience and a Nikon man I can tell you that this is one of Canon's best lenses ever, you should have no difficulty using it wide open with great results, and from what I have learned so far I think it is more to do with the rigidty of your mount and the accuracy of set up and guiding that will dictate the quality of the subs rather than the lens.

Regards,

A.G

Archived