Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Saving time in setting up.

cfpendock

I am not sure if this is the correct forum for this but anyway...

I have a CPC 1100, which isn't really a good astrograph, but occasionally it's good to be able to use f10 for small objects. The problem is always the setting up - I don't have an observatory, and the CPC 1100 is quite a beast, well over 50 kg in total with tripod, wedge, guidescope etc.

The CPC lives in a shed, attached to its wedge and tripod, and normally I "walk" it into position (just outside the shed), connect the power, and then align it. This takes perhaps 20 minutes in total time from opening the shed door where the CPC lives, to get it ready to mount a camera, by which time the clouds are often menacing. The time is mostly spent on alignment, firstly the tripod, and then the scope.

So to save time in setting up, I have made a permanent mount which is level with the lawn and can be mown over. The mount consists of three concrete plugs (one for each tripod leg) set into the ground. Each plug extends down about 400mm below ground level, and contains a 40mm diameter nylon rod, indented at the top to precisely match the relevant tripod foot. The nylon is very hard, abrasion resistant, and self lubricating, and is used to protect the tripod feet as they slopost-23286-0-03242600-1361120227_thumb.jt into the plugs, and to prevent wear of the concrete.

The plugs are exactly level and oriented for an Eq north alignment.

So now, having done the initial set up and polar alignment, I just have to remember to put the scope into "hibernate" mode after each session. Then for the next session, all I have to do is walk the scope out so that the tripod feet slide into the nylon plugs, switch on, and the scope is instantly aligned and ready to go. I have found that this works extremely well: the nylon guides the tripod feet into precisely the correct position. Although I check the alignment each time, it has so far been spot on for the three times the clouds have allowed this year.

I am well pleased with the arrangement because it means that total set up time until I am ready to attach the camera is less than 2 minutes from opening the shed door. I am waiting for the grass to grow over the concrete, and will be interested to see how it performs over time - eg are the plugs deep enough for a prolonged dry spell with associated ground movement? I attach a photograph of the plugs just after completion (and before I leveled the lawn area!), the tops of the indented nylon rods can be seen.

Hope you find it interesting.

Chris

It's certainly worth doing.

I have a similar set-up position now , having spent a night drift-aligning the mount ( the new position has no Pole view ) I can now just 'plonk' the tripod in its locating holes , attach the scope and star align in no time.

It's certainly worth doing.

I have a similar set-up position now , having spent a night drift-aligning the mount ( the new position has no Pole view ) I can now just 'plonk' the tripod in its locating holes , attach the scope and star align in no time.

I'm new to EQ mounts so how do you go about this?

I am not an expert in EQ mounts but I guess your EQ5 has instructions for an EQ north and polar alignment? I would practice aligning a few times first, then select where you would want to do your observing, and then put in the concrete or whatever for the tripod to sit on. Once aligned on the new mounting site, then you can spend more time doing a drift alignment - instructions for this should be with your EQ5 mount. Otherwise the internet should provide some answers.

hope this helps

Chris

Archived