Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Focusing. Whats the best way?

M00NMonkey

Hi All,

Had a great time last night using the whole set-up for first time. Finally the clouds cleared enough!!

I have uploaded what I achieved but it was rushed as I was over-keen and over excited so the results aren't brilliant, but I am made up with it. Really can't wait to try again with the new knowledge I have gained from playing around with the kit and software.

My question is: The way I was focusing was pure guess work. I couldn't see any sort of image to focus on, either through the camera view finder or in live view on backyardEOS. So, I was taking short subs and then fine tuning (guesstimating) focus then taking another shot, focusing, another shot etc etc....until the image appeared to be fairly focused ( as i said, it was rushed :) )

Is this the right way to achieve focus? or am I doing something drastically wrong?

Cheers for any help

Jez

hi Jez,

a batinov mask certainly will improve your focus (which I don't think is terrible). You can make one or you can buy them from flo for under £20 (I think).

Scott

edit: try focusing on a bright star nearby before moving on to your target.

Archived