Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

what can be expected results

shirva

You'll be way over the EQ3/2 wieght limit with an 8" newt on top of it, especially for any kind of AP, you'll need at least an EQ5 although many will say the HEQ5 (IMO tho the EQ5 would just about be ok) The st102 would be better suited for EQ3/2.

Steve

Trust me the eq3 balanced with extra weights on balance shaft is fine and tripod not extended in a enclosed garden with no cross winds is minted ..heard all the comments before about weight and thing is I've done it for a while .w

Folk are just reading label off the tin....companies selling things put a reserve tollerance down so they can disclaim against any damage or premature wear when said unit is at its limit. .as like other astronomy equipment used and modified by astromers it is out of the manufacturing specs it was initialy designed for but if it works....brilliant your a star....how many pieces of equipment been destroyed modding ???.how Many have been improved. ..yes my 8"scope push's it to limit I understand that and not having a dig at anybody's views.

Trust me the eq3 balanced with extra weights on balance shaft is fine and tripod not extended in a enclosed garden with no cross winds is minted ..heard all the comments before about weight and thing is I've done it for a while .w

Folk are just reading label off the tin....companies selling things put a reserve tollerance down so they can disclaim against any damage or premature wear when said unit is at its limit. .as like other astronomy equipment used and modified by astromers it is out of the manufacturing specs it was initialy designed for but if it works....brilliant your a star....how many pieces of equipment been destroyed modding ???.how Many have been improved. ..yes my 8"scope push's it to limit I understand that and not having a dig at anybody's views.

Dont get me wrong I totally agree with what u say about 'recommended' weights, mounts etc & if the set up your 'already' using (reading the OP i assumed you were considering buying the EQ3/2 with an 8" newt & not that u already had it & were using it succesfully, with that in mind I was merely advising that it'd be pushing it) is working fine then all well and good. I'm also going against what many people say is the minimum mount by modding my EQ5 with an ST4 port for guiding my 200p. I was answering the post as if you wernt aware of the 'recommended' weights certain mounts can take. Apologises for the confusion & good look with the setup.

Steve

No probs Steve sorry if came over that I was having a go at you..just fed up with the keeping up with the Jones's attitude of obvious lottery winners moneys no object brigade...but there are also well intentioned folk on here looking out to help folk not make wrong choices or miss informed choices. .it is an expensive hobby and you yourself is modding rather than spending a grand on a eq6. ..and in my opinion good on you and others modding and passing on the tips and trying different things to keep costs down...the post was ment to be what could be picked out with these scopes with the Samsung scb2000. .

Davy

No probs Steve sorry if came over that I was having a go at you..just fed up with the keeping up with the Jones's attitude of obvious lottery winners moneys no object brigade...but there are also well intentioned folk on here looking out to help folk not make wrong choices or miss informed choices. .it is an expensive hobby and you yourself is modding rather than spending a grand on a eq6. ..and in my opinion good on you and others modding and passing on the tips and trying different things to keep costs down...the post was ment to be what could be picked out with these scopes with the Samsung scb2000. .

Davy

No offence taken at all mate. I do know what you mean, I'd love the EQ6/ED80/QHY5 but it'll take me well over a year to save that kind of money. I find it frustrating constantly hearing that the minimum mount is a HEQ5 etc,etc (shouldnt really promote it myself but its just advice I was also given & not the rule), yes, getting this will make whats a very difficult hobby easier (altho not easy) some people like myself cant afford it. The mod i'm doing has been done by many others & i've seen some great results with this set-up, so I know it can be done & if its the only way I can do something I love then so be it, I'll give it my best shot. As for your question, I'm still fairly new to this so I cant help u with that one i'm afraid.

Clear skies

Steve

Archived