Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Jupiter image anomaly in gallery section!!!

Alfven

I didn't know were to post this so I hope I have chosen the right forum for it. I was just going through some members images in the gallery section and came across this image of Jupiter posted by wowdg.

At first I thought it must be an artefact of image processing but the more I have studied it the more convinced I am that wowdg has captured an impact event. There is no data supplied with the image. Have a look. What do you think?

post-28823-0-69926700-1361044541_thumb.j

http://stargazerslounge.com/gallery/sizes/15542-wowdg/large/

I saw something like this a few months ago at almost same place on the disk... couldn't figure it out.

Turned out to be one of the moons (forget which one) coming out from behind Jupiter.

There are websites which show where all the moons are at any given moment.

Looked several hours later and it was well clear of the planet.

Steve

I saw something like this a few months ago at almost same place on the disk... couldn't figure it out.

Turned out to be one of the moons (forget which one) coming out from behind Jupiter.

There are websites which show where all the moons are at any given moment.

Looked several hours later and it was well clear of the planet.

Steve

The longitude looks rather high to be one of it's moons.

When Atlas posted this image of Europa's transit on the 26th Nov' 2012 he did say that he thought fog had made Europa look strange.

Hi cloudwatcher, I checked out other sources and you seem to be right, but a strange and interesting anomaly nonetheless.

I saw something like this a few months ago at almost same place on the disk... couldn't figure it out. Turned out to be one of the moons (forget which one) coming out from behind Jupiter. There are websites which show where all the moons are at any given moment. Looked several hours later and it was well clear of the planet. Steve

Hi I use this link to check jupiter moon positions quite handy.

http://www.skyandtelescope.com/observing/objects/javascript/jupiter#

Archived