Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

eureka moment maybe , tal-1 110mm newt

i've been in a rock and a hard place for a while now (well it feels like forever with this broken ankle) on changing my scope , i want a little bit of viewing and a bit of planetary webcam imaging..

i've come across the tal-1 110mm with the pier style mount now i've always like the look of this scope.

first things first is the ota any good will i pick up any DSO with it for viewing purposes..

secondly can i motorise the mount for tracking .

thirdly i'm assuming if i buy a second scope vixen vmc110l it should fit directly into the rings for the newt.

lastly does anyone know the payload of the tal mount, and can the pier section take upgraded mounts in the future if needed.

i think thats it..

i have had 3 tal1 [2 with 240v ra drive :eek: ] the ota is superb jupiter .moon etc dso's excellent within reason[as its a 4" scope ] but saw amdromeda . m13, m82 with perfect clarity etc , the tals came with ra drive as mentioned and theyre pretty good . i had an eq mount on the tripod rock solid [eq5]was very good

i've been in a rock and a hard place for a while now (well it feels like forever with this broken ankle) on changing my scope , i want a little bit of viewing and a bit of planetary webcam imaging..

i've come across the tal-1 110mm with the pier style mount now i've always like the look of this scope.

first things first is the ota any good will i pick up any DSO with it for viewing purposes..

I love mine. A great general purpose scope. A nice small secondary helps contrast(24% central obstruction).

secondly can i motorise the mount for tracking .

If it's the std manual mount(MT-1) then no. Not unless you're extremely handy with gears n electronics and can make a RA drive. I've seen pics of this done. Beyond me though.

The slo-mo wheels are very smooth, large and it's a very user friendly mount.

There is another small motorised Tal mount called the MT-1C. Basically a small version of the beast-like 2M(MT-2C).

thirdly i'm assuming if i buy a second scope vixen vmc110l it should fit directly into the rings for the newt.

Take care with buying an older(~ pre yr2000) Tal 1 as the tube rings were part of the casting of the mounts top plate. This was later changed to removable tube rings. The Tal 1 ota was 140mm O/D. Later steel tubed versions are 138mm O/D.

lastly does anyone know the payload of the tal mount, and can the pier section take upgraded mounts in the future if needed.

Payloads - I reckon the following -

Tal rate the carrying capacity of their mounts as follows.

1/ small manual mount MT-1 = 7kg*

2/ smaller of the two motorised mounts, the MT-1C = 10kg*

3/ 2M mount, the MT-2C = 12kg*

4/ Newer Stepper mount, the MT-3S = 20kg

*After years of using the 2M mount, I must say that Tal have been remarkably conservative in the rating of it. I've found that mine, after tune up, can cope with up to 20kg of compact scope weight, which the newer Stepper mount is rated for. If the MT-2C/2M can’t hold as much as this model, I’ll eat my hat.

I would be surprised if the MT-1C couldn't cope with at least another 2kg also. I haven't tried, or used this mount though.

The manual mount works very well with the 4.5" newts and is adequate when carrying the 100RS.

Pillars - Depending on their age, the Tal 1 pillars either have an internally threaded top piece or a 3" I/D smooth bore, slip fit. They are solid as rocks and can be adapted to suit anything else you desire to use on top. Just need to get an adapter made up. Shouldn't cost much to do, depending on the complexity.

i think thats it..

Thought it was easier to answer inside your quote. Hope that helps some.

Cheers,

Andy.

Andy that's the most comprehensive answer ive ever had lol thanks..

I'll be buying the scopes brand new so Im assuming the tube rings will be the newer type i don't they'll have 13 year old stock..?

The reason i want two scopes is the newt for viewing and the little vixen for webcam imaging. So hopefully they will compliment each other. I still and by buying a big dob next year when my obs is built for DSO so i will have a nice array this should also leave me a few bucks to buy an az3 mount for travelling.

Yeah if it's a new or newish Tal 1, then the rings will be removable and 138mm I/D.

Don't know what the Vixens tube O/D is, but you might need to adapt the top plate on the mount. Various ways of doing it. Not expensive. Not difficult.

one last one for anyone lol...

has anyone ever pinned the stand to a concrete slab as a permanent pier. as i've decided to concentrate my funds on my summer house / observatory and would like to keep this OTA and mount in there with the pier outside, and the option to put different telescopes and mounts on it at a later date..

Nope, but easily done. I've read of people doing that very thing.

Just drill through the 3 feet with a sized hole that fits the screwed rod or Rawl Bolts being used.

If you want to extend the height, an extension can be fabricated to suit. Off the top of my head, I think the std height of the Tal pillar is around 800mm? I've got drawings somewhere, regarding that very thing, that I jotted down for extending the various types of Tal pillars.

Andy.

cheers andy , gutted i just lost out on a tal-1 on ebay by a £1 lol, i've got another lined up though .. if i can get it cheap i can get a mak to go with it and sort the observatory out as the missus would prefer that (i bet lol)

yeah my plan was to drill an 8mm hole in each foot and raw bolt them into the concrete..

Archived