help with first scope.

hi, im thinking about buying my first scope and after reading alot of reviews im thinking the dob 200p could be a good scope to begin with? My main concern is I dont know what mount to buy for it, so if anyone can suggest 1 or 2 i would be very grateful (im not made of money so dont include solid gold ones or diamond encrusted ones ;)...for now anyway ) I appreciate your time and look forward to your help. thanks jon.

Do you mean this Dob http://www.firstlightoptics.com/dobsonians/skywatcher-skyliner-200p-dobsonian.html ?

This scope already has a mount so no additional equipment is required. The term Dobsonian actually refers to the mount type (part of broader range of Alt Az type mounts - not polar alligned and require two axis of motion to track objects across the sky). The telescope design is known as a Newtonian and uses two mirrors to bring the light to focus point.

It is an excellent first choice scope, allowing you to see plenty in good detail, manageable as it is not too large and heavy, and it does not break the bank either.

Clear skies,

Hi Jon,

Welcome to the forum. I think you've answered your own question. The dob part of the scope is the mount. Dob is short for dobsonian and is a basic mount which is easy to use, especially for beginners. If you're looking at a product, described as a "dob" it should come with the mount

I've been looking at the 200 Dob, and hope to invest in one at the end of the month. YouTube some videos, there's an instructional there that shows a 250p I think it is - it's massive, and the 200p won't be much smaller so will happily sit on ground and be good height for observing still.

Archived