SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Help...iPhoto Astro Disaster

Cloudwatcher

For a brief period yesterday evening there were clear skies here and I took the opportunity to to use the 350D to capture a 30sec exposure of 'The Whirpool' through a 26mm EP on the ST150. When I zoomed in on the preview screen I could actually make out some quite clear detail! Might be alright after a bit of 'photoshopping',I thought. :(

Anyhow,this morning I downloaded the image to iPhoto as per normal and had a good look around the frame,which,although rather noisy,showed potential. I clicked on the enhance 'icon' which will highlight such defects and as expected it looked like a closeup of Mr.Blobby. I was just going to undo the enhance mode when the the blue and white 'Barbers Pole' came up and I couldn't stop the bl**dy thing.....It carried on doing what it does and then obligingly told me it was....DONE! :evil:

Has anyone had the same experiance and is there a way to halt the process in mid flow,so to speak,short of turning off the computer? Bit worried about doing that in case I loose a lot of info. :smiley:

In future I will retain images 'on camera' after downloading as a backup. Don't know why I havent made that a rule before. :insects1:

As far as the image is concerned I will spend the next three week trying to rescue detail in PS. :)

Cheers

CW

Hi James

I don't appear to have a 'revert' facility in my iPhoto,just 'undo' which doesn't seem to work once 'DONE' is displayed. :smiley:

Oh,well,back to photoshop. Actually once in PS the image is not quite as bad as I thought. Still working on it but the core is burned out and I think a lot of the stars that appear are in fact 'noise'.

Cheers

CW

(click for a bigger blob.)

This may be a stupid answer but could you not save a copy of the image before you process it.

That way when things go wrong you can just revert to the original image.

Apologies if this is teaching you to suck eggs.

:evil: Can't say I've tried the sucking eggs routine,beamer,afraid the yoke might be on me! :smiley:

No,seriously,when in PS I do save the original image and work on a copy. Don't normally do enhancement work in iPhoto,just check out the image basically. On this occasion I guess it was just a case of bad luck but thanks for your thoughts. Appreciated.

Cheers

CW

From a quick peek at Apple's support pages (I'll get into trouble from IT at work now :smiley: ) it should be an option under the file menu, visible when actually editing the photo (i.e. it doesn't show up when you are just browsing your library.

James

Archived