Olympus 10x50 DPS-1 OR Helios Fieldmaster 10x50? Checking collimation?

Hello

I've always wanted to gaze upon the stars and I've had cheap telescopes in the past, but found I never ended up using them due to all the faffing about setting them up. Recently I discovered that many start out with a good set of bins and so I started to research the best ones for me.

I received the Skymaster 15x70 for Christmas, but found them too heavy. I read that they were heavy, but thought my guns were more than a match to keep them steady. Unfortunately I overrated my guns MASSIVELY, and so had to send them back. I know I could have got a mono stand (if that's what it's called), but to encourage me to use them more often, I'm really after something that I can just grab and use with ease, and that's when I discovered 10x50's.

I was set on purchasing the Olympus 10x50 as they come highly recommended for newbies, but then I read a post highly recommending the Helios FieldMaster 10x50's over the Olympus. One of the main reasons for besting the Fieldmasters was due it them having BaK 4 prisms vs Bak 7 of the Olympus. I've read that BaK 4 prisms should give you better quality, it's not always the case. The Olympus pro's over Feildmaster is that they have a slightly large fov 6.5 vs 5.5 and are £10 cheaper. I'm wondering then if anyone has used both and can recommend which is best?

Also once I've received my new bins, is there an easy way to check they are 100% working as should please? I've read regarding collimation, here but it seems quite complicated, at least for a newbie.

Thank you

I can't comment on the Fieldmaster but I had the DSP-1 and found it to be a very capable binocular for the price. I've since donated it to my younger brother who is saving for his first scope but would not hesitate it recommend it.

I've just bought a pair of the Olympus DPS-1's (only yesterday) to replace an ageing pair of Tasco 10x50s and impressed with the sharpness, they are smaller and lighter than the ole Tascos, and on par with a pair of Bushnell's which cost twice the price

I've yet to use them on a clear night sky, but they make the underside of grey clouds look great :bino2:

I've owned the helios fieldmaster 10x50 and the olympus 8x40 dpsi (which is the same bino's as the 10x50 dpsi's just lower mag) and i found the olympus's to be better quality than the helios bino's. i purchased the helios first but after one night of use i sent them back the next day (i was lucky enough to get a clear sky that night). for me, the overall build quality looked and felt cheaper than the olympus's and when i looked through them there were strange reflections in the fov where ever i pointed them, the edges of the fov were quite distorted too. also i found them to be too heavy for me and the fov was too narrow. so after sending them back i decided on the olympus because of the good reviews and also because of the wider fov. everything about the olympus IMO is so much better. it has a quality build and look, it feels very solid. the view is much crisper to the edge, no reflections and the lighter weight and wider fov made finding things and holding them steady much easier, also the bag that comes with it is more padded offering better protection. i would imagine the 10x50 dpsi's would be just as good quality the only negatives being a bit heavier and less fov, just depends if that's what you want. i personally don't have a need for 10x50's, you can still see loads of detail in the sky with the 8x40's and they are much easier to hold steady. but hey this is my experience. hope it helps anyway. good luck with your decision.

Wooha! Great response, thanks all! I didn't received email confirmation so only just seeing them now.

I think I will go with the Olympus 10x50 DPS-1 then, although one last reservation I have is the weight. Do you find you can hold them stead enough for stargazing? As said I wouldn't be mounting them so ideally need to be light enough to hold steady at least for a while.

Now considering the Olympus 8x40 DPS I as mentioned by bendiddley, but while lighter and larger FOV, has less magnification. Anyone used both 10x50, 8x40 DPS I, and if so how does weight compare please?

Archived