Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

another couple of questions

hi im going to order my first telescope a reflector on a eq mount and want to know if i will need to buy a collimator with it or can it be collimated without one? and also will i need to get a polar scope to be able to set the eq mount up properly or can that be done without one?

once again thanks for the great advice

rob

You can collimate reasonably well with something like a 35mm film canister (if you can find one these days!) - just drill a 1.5mm hole in the bottom of it and push it gently into the eyepiece holder - look through it and align in accordance with the same regime as using a "Cheshire" collimator. Final "tweaks" should be done on an out of focus star using a meduim eyepiece. Eventually you will probably need to get a Cheshire but you can manage without for now.

A polar scope is not necessary if you are using the scope visually - you can cheat here and align the mount by looking upwards through the polar scope "hole" and getting polaris in the middle of the field of view - it will be good enough for visual work.

Depends on what you want to use the scope for. If its astrophotography then some mounts you would think of buying would have a buit in polarscope

1- collimating with home made collimator: http://www.stargazing.org.uk/collimate.html. If you don't move the scope about much then you need not collimate often. Mine is on a fixed mount and I never used my collimator on it.

(a Cheshire is just as easy)

2 - polar aligment without polarscope: http://www.astro-baby.com/simplepolar/simple_polar_alignment.htm

Archived