Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

APT and BackyardEOS running slow

butlermike

Hi All,

I'm having trouble with both camera programs.

I can set up the photo sessions but the sessions don't run to plan. It seems to take quite a while (more than a few seconds) for the image to write to the computer (or card or both).

If I have a plan with five second delay between shots then this can take at least ten seconds as it takes five to write the image and then it starts the five second delay before taking the next image.

I'm guessing this is to do with a slow data transfer but I've tried with jpegs as well as RAW with very little difference.

I suppose this doesn't matter too much as I don't need to leave a short gap between shots as its for DSO's but I'd like to know what's happening.

If the programs don't run to plan then i can't plan a shoot!

I'm using an old Dell on XP, 1.8Ghz machine with 3GB RAM. And a 350d.

Hi Butlermike,

The machine looks fine, APT has not big requirements... Can you check if the auto-darks are turned off? This option doubles the exposure time...

There is a simple way to see what is going on. After the exposure take a look on the red LED of the camera, if is blinking then there is transfer in progress. If it is not blinking and on the camera is taking automatic dark.

Thanks.

I'm pretty sure it's off as I know I don't want auto noise reduction on. However, I will check as you never know...

I did buy a cheap data transfer cable though, could that cause a problem? Perhaps I'll try my other camera's one just in case.

Hi. This is still slow in both programs.

to do a 3 exposure plan of 2 second exposures at iso1600 with no delay took 45seconds to complete in BYE. APT didn't want to seem to work with the 50d, it connected ok but wouldn't take any pictures.

There's no noise exposure on in the camera and the leads are good. I've tried both a 350d and a 50d. That only really leaves a slow computer I think...

any help anyone?

Well I've tried everything I can think of now and both programs are still running slow.

I think its because I've got USB1.1 ports on my old laptop so perhaps that is the bottle neck. Although other people seem to be using old laptops without an issue.

I'm not sure what difference this is going to make in the long run, I'll just have to see how slow it makes any imaging sessions.

I don't seem to be able to setup APT on my worklaptop though. I've got administrator rights etc but when i run the executable it comes back with 'Error 5' and stops the installation.

Its a windows 7 machine, i7 core. Is that an APT error or my machine blocking the installation?

Archived