Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Dealing with dew - 10" SCT - any recommendations/advice?

Does anyone have and advice or recommendations for dealing with dew and my 10" LX200? Any products that should be avoided, or others shortlisted?

It's the penultimate issue I need to sort out before I can start imaging (the final issue being a dark site but I think I have that sorted now too).

Hi .......?

I had a 10" LX200GPS for 5 years, and now a 12" LX200R, and the Dew solution that worked so well with the 10" has now been employed with the 12".

A flexible Dew Shield, and Dew Heater Tape on the OTA, up against the Correct Plate Cell.

Can point the scope at the zenith for hours, with no dew problem.

Original Flexi Dew Shield, was an Astro Engineering one, which was still fully serviceable after 5 years of use. Now for the 12", another Astro Engineering one, the construction of which is a major improvement over the original.

Dew Heater Tape for the 10", was an Astro Engineering, and for the 12" a BC&F one (pretty much identical. Controller is still the original Astro Engineering one.

Hope this helps.

Dave

On my 8 and 5 inch SCT's I found a dew heater tape powered by a portable 12v power supply enough to keep things clear on most nights.

A bigger aperture might need a dew shield as well.

Some form of dew prevention device should be standard equipment with SCT's IMHO.

John

Some form of dew prevention device should be standard equipment with SCT's IMHO.

John

I agree John, as you can probably count the number of nights you can use an SCT in the UK, without dew prevention measures, on the fingers of one hand.

Dave

Archived