NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

W/C 4th February

swamp thing

Hi All

I have a poxy cold at the mo, so don't fancy being out in the cold. Hoping to feel a bit better by the end of the week.

New moon on Sunday, lets hope for some clear ones next week. Maybe we can get to a dark site too :) that would be great, almost forgotten what a dark sky looks like, its been so long.

I've been taking out the very basic bins and having a peruse, also on the way to work on Sunday morning at 5am I was excited to see that Saturn and Venus were in the sky (for the first time since I have been paying attention). Didn't get to see much though as I was in the car, however, the A3 at Esher has no street lighting, and at that time of day there were no cars on the road so I managed to have a little sidewards glance now and again out of the window.

I am thinking more and more now of not bothering with GOTO and spending around £800 on a scope only. Will that get something good? Thinking of a dobsonian for deep sky viewing.

I think you can get a 150 dob with goto for that budget, but you're probably better off getting something a bigger aperture if you want to do DSOs... I have a 150 on an EQ mount and it's a little on the small side.

Mine does have the advantage of being very portable (if heavy) though.

The budget was around 1k but I now realise how limited I am in terms of knowledge so I am thinking perhaps smaller. That said, I am happy to spend on something worthwhile that will give me good images, my viewing area is epic so deep sky would I would be spoilt for choice.

How heavy is the dob you mention - would I be able to get it in and out of my summerhouse alone with ease?

I must admit I always split my 10" to move it, it's just easier and only takes a few seconds. I was going to fit handles so I could carry it in one piece but in the end, as I always transport my scope to use it, it's easier to split it to get it in and out of the van.

An 8" or 10" Dob makes a very good first scope. The Flextube goto variants are very nice as the choice of whether to manually find stuff or rely on the on board computer to do it is up to how you feel. As I've never compared one with a non Goto side by side I can't say if pushing the Goto about is any harder, but I have used the 16" flextube Goto and that moved pretty well manually.

Archived