Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

10" first light -jupiter 2/2/13

philwright66

spent some time collimating the mirrors in my new OO VX10L yesterday.clear skies were predicted so i tried to get the optics lined up as well as i could.used a ASI120MC @100 frames per second.native focal length of 1600mm @ f6.3 .10,000 frames captured.75% stacked. 1.5x drizzle in AS!2. wavelets in Registax6.

post-10784-0-65878100-1359884299_thumb.j

Shows plenty of promise Phil, but I wonder why you used (presumably) a focal reducer for planetary imaging..? :confused:

I understand trying to fit the planet into one of the smallest resolutions available to grab very fast framerates but I think going for native f/l AND then using a reducer is probably counter-productive...

The images from these cams take significant upscaling/drizzling but I'd recommend trying a smaller stack of higher quality frames also to see how that compares...

But it does show promise and looks like you've started very well! :smiley:

Great shot of Io just passing the edge of Jupiter and well worth the effort. 10,000 frames is a lot, but if it managed 100 fps then it would do them in 100 seconds so I guess why not. I am guessing it took a while to stack?

hi Kokatha man, the native fl of the scope is f6.3! i tried to use a 2x televue barlow but the focuser seems to have a few teething problems,with image shift all over the place - going completely off the screen when trying to focus.so rather waste time with that i just stuck to the native focal length of 1600mm f6.3 ,just to see how things turned out. i will probably buy a feathertouch focuser as soon as funds permit. the sharpness of the moon on the jovian limb really stood out when imaging - much sharper than i had ever seen with my 7" mak. thanks for the kind words !

phil

hi DrRobin, thanks for your thoughts. yep 10,000 frames imaged in 100 seconds.i think the res. of the camera was set to 400x400 in firecapture.stacking ,using AS!2 only took about 3 minutes,although i didn't use many alignment boxes,and my laptop is an i7 quad core.when i sort out my focuser issues i will use barlow lenses to get more planetary details.

phil

Archived