NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Solar Watching

I've a Skywatcher 200 dob and was wondering what sort of views I would get of the sun -any kind folk any photos taken with a similar scope to give me a clue. Also, which of the solar filters on FLO should I order?

If you have the black plastic tube cap that SW provide it should have a small off-axis hole in it (with its own little removeable cap). You can make a filter by securely taping a piece of Solar filter material over this little hole (tape it to the back). When using it make sure that the light passes between the legs of the secondary mirror mount. Also make sure the cap cannot fall off - maybe tape it in place. Additionally ensure that you remove or securely cap your finder, if you have one.

If you make your own bespoke filter holder you only need an aparture of 100-120mm. You will get little advantage from anything larger as the atmosphere will determine the resolution of your image rather than the optics of your scope.

The view will be similar to this through the 200P.

J8002-2-13.jpg

This was taken through Baader Solar film , the type you need is the ND5.0 VISUAL film ..... http://www.firstligh...film-nd-50.html

You'll have to knock up a holder for it but this is easy enough , or else buy a readymade cell ... more expensive but easier if you're not diy minded.

A sheet of film will make a few filters for your newt as you don't need to make it full aperture , an offset 100mm hole would be fine meaning you could get 4 from a sheet.

Archived