Focusing Question (sorry)

Hello

I am a complete novice to all this, so bear with me. I bought a Skywatcher 200P it came with a 25mm & a 10mm plus a 2x Barlow, after reading a lot here bought a laser

collumator & a Telrad.

Trouble is I just cant focus it? its fine upto around 100 mtrs but beyond I just cant. Last sunday had my first try as sky was clear but just got white glares?

Need help please. :sad:

Denny

Hello :)

No need to apologise! I have the 200p on an equatorial mount so very similar scope.

Have you aligned the telrad and finder scopes during the day?

I would start off with the 25mm and point it at a bright star. The focuser has quite a lot of travel have you made sure that its not locked?

When you were turning the focuser wheel did you see stars at all? Not sure what you mean by white glares.

Dan

Hi Denny, the 200P comes with a 1.25" fitment that goes in the focuser and a 2" one, you only put one in the focuser, not both! One is for 1.25" (the one you need to use) and one is for 2" eyepieces only. Start with your lowest power ep - the 25mm one, and get that to focus first.

have you made sure that its not locked?

Now I've done that!

Little fingers twiddling whilst the 'scope is sat in the conservatory and then me wondering why I can't focus!

Can you see the focuser moving?

Will it go all the way in and out?

There's a knob on the underside of the focuser between the two focusing wheels, you can see it on Robin's picture, it locks the focuser in place.

Cheers

Archived