NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

HEQ5 polar scope too bright!

Alaness

Tonight I had a 2 hour window of clear skies to test out my new HEQ5 pro. I set the mount up so it was perfectly level, used a true north compass to get the mount pointed in the right direction and plugged the mount into my power tank.

After turning it on I got on my knees to start polar alignment - But the polar scope was way too bright, and I just couldn't for the life of me see polaris. By the time I gave up it was already starting to cloud over again, so I packed up feeling a little bit disheartened and headed home.

Dose anyone with a HEQ5 know a way of making this 'work'?

Cheers,

Alan.

I don't have one but I think I remember somebody saying in another thread that there was an option in the hand controller menus to change the brightness. If I'm wrong then apologies - brain isnt what it once was ;)

The HEQ5 Pro should have an option in the handset somewhere for decreasing the brightness of the LED, I had to play around with mine and drop it right down before I could see Polaris and make out the reticule markers when I played with mine for the first time the other night.

Off the top of my head I think it's somewhere in the Setup menu.

polaris is pretty bright. Even with ny led on full brightness i easily see polaris. but the FOV of the polar sope is very narrow, and i sometimes struggle to get polaris into the FOV. I think this might be your problem, and not the LED brightnes. I might be wrong though, but for me it sounds more like you never had polaris into the FOV, and therefor thought it was the led being too bright for you to be able to see it. To veryfy this, you can simply turn off the power. If you still can't clearly see polaris, it's simply not there, and you need to move the scope around a bit to find it.

Also, you didn't do the same misstake as many others, me included, have done;

1. not pull out the counterweight-shaft completly

2. not rotate the scope 90 degrees

Either fo these two will cause you not to be able to see anything through the polar scope (giving teh feeling that the led is too bright for you to see anything). The best way to verify if polar scope is open and ready to align, is to simply look down into it from the top, and see if you can see the led. If you can see the led, all is good.

Although, as mentiond abow, the led Can be dimmed if needed - i'm just surprised that you can't see polaris at all as i can clearly see it even with led at full brightness.

Archived