Imaging trough phone on eyepiece. Raw Saturn pic added album.

Anyone more found out it is possible?

S.J.

Hi S.J

I am new here and only got first scope on saturday, so please dont take what I am about to say as any sort of expert advise, because its not. But i will share what I have learnt so far.

Regarding taking pictures with a phone. I have the samsung s2 and have taken a couple of shoots through the eyepiece (25mm) using SWE200p on Eq5 mount. If you click on my profile, you will find them in my gallery. They are really nothing special but I want to document my journey in astronomy. It was very hard to line up the camera to the EP and when i had managed to do so, the object i wanted to photo had tracked out of view. I really wouldn't expect any good results and it may cause frustration and put you off astrophotography all together.

My suggestion would be to buy the book "making every photon count" as I have just done. The book will be recommend by everyone, to anyone wanting to get into AP. this seems like it is the AP Bible, and will explain everything you need to get started.

There are cheap(ish) mods you can do with xbox webcams etc and motorising EQ5 mounts. and some people have, had good results but again, dont expect to get amazing results. You also have to run the subs you take through software to enhance images but, like i said, I am new to all this too so I really can't explain in-depth on this subject, at all!

It does seem that as a general rule of thumb that astronomy is expensive, and especially so with astrophotography. but again don't take my word for it :) Im sure someone will come along and explain more, they are a friendly bunch here on SGL :)

As already stated, My best advice is to buy the book mentioned!

Hope this kind of helps.

Clear Skies

Jez

Hi S.J

I am new here and only got first scope on saturday, so please dont take what I am about to say as any sort of expert advise, because its not. But i will share what I have learnt so far.

Regarding taking pictures with a phone. I have the samsung s2 and have taken a couple of shoots through the eyepiece (25mm) using SWE200p on Eq5 mount. If you click on my profile, you will find them in my gallery. They are really nothing special but I want to document my journey in astronomy. It was very hard to line up the camera to the EP and when i had managed to do so, the object i wanted to photo had tracked out of view. I really wouldn't expect any good results and it may cause frustration and put you off astrophotography all together.

My suggestion would be to buy the book "making every photon count" as I have just done. The book will be recommend by everyone, to anyone wanting to get into AP. this seems like it is the AP Bible, and will explain everything you need to get started.

There are cheap(ish) mods you can do with xbox webcams etc and motorising EQ5 mounts. and some people have, had good results but again, dont expect to get amazing results. You also have to run the subs you take through software to enhance images but, like i said, I am new to all this too so I really can't explain in-depth on this subject, at all!

It does seem that as a general rule of thumb that astronomy is expensive, and especially so with astrophotography. but again don't take my word for it :) Im sure someone will come along and explain more, they are a friendly bunch here on SGL :)

Hope this kind of helps.

Clear Skies

Jez

Well done Jez, well thought out answer, good advice!

Hi S.J

Hope this kind of helps.

Clear Skies

Jez

Jez, thank you for youre wondefull and smart usefull advice, every advice of point of mind from everyone makes one smarter and learn more all the time, yours too.

I will dive into the book, and like u said,,buying cameras is easy for it, making something myself is more challenging, as i am that type..hence the satisfaction whats all possible and then sharing with others. Like the Vixen with tuberings on the camera mount plate without dovetail, lots get stuck or start making their own connection when it can be really easy with whats there///smartness and trial and error is the key....so youre comment is very welcome and states already my thinking stronger.

S.J.

Jez, thank you for youre wondefull and smart usefull advice, every advice of point of mind from everyone makes one smarter and learn more all the time, yours too.

I will dive into the book, and like u said,,buying cameras is easy for it, making something myself is more challenging, as i am that type..hence the satisfaction whats all possible and then sharing with others. Like the Vixen with tuberings on the camera mount plate without dovetail, lots get stuck or start making their own connection when it can be really easy with whats there///smartness and trial and error is the key....so youre comment is very welcome and states already my thinking stronger.

S.J.

Enjoy the read 5makes7.

I would also recommend reading through the threads on this website. I have been reading through many of them and they have lots of useful advice. And the more I read, the more things make sense. You will also start to see patterns in whats good, and whats bad, and also whats achievable.

This website, www.12dstring.me.uk/fov.htm is also very good, gives u an idea of what to expect.

Clear Skies

Jez

Hello, I tried astrophotography last year, it didn't quite work out, so I put my blackberry to the eyepiece, got some very good pictures of all the planets - considering they're taken using a mobile phone camera!

I've got a few photos of neptune, uranus, mercury and a few saturn photos that I need to add to my gallery, going to do that tomorrow, take a look when you get a spare few minutes if you like :)

Archived