Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

What Extra's do I need?

OK I am still a complete newbie other than a few star parties and I am getting my new 12 inch Skywatcher 300P Flex Tube Goto SynScan next week. Family present for my 40th...seems a good age to start a new hobby to me :-)

I have a list of extra's which I need to buy which include Skywatcher Power Tank, Shroud, possibly a scope coat as I intend to go to star parties plus a collimator...am i forgetting anything else to get me started?...

My budget is pretty much gone with that lot and I was wondering if the Premium Cheshire Collimating Eyepiece for £36 on FLO was what I needed to cover my collimating needs? Or should I get a more expensive/better make. I actually have no idea how to use one of these or what they really are and was only made aware I needed one a few days ago...

Also, I know you can make a Dew Shield and I am told that I may need one on this scope...I don't really want to make one and would consider buying one but I have yet to find one for this scope...I will get extra EP's after I am more accustomed to the scope so its not really on my priority list at the moment. All advice much appreciated...Cheers

That is a BIG first scope!

A power source is essential. I would buy a car starter type though and save some money.

On the collimator. Is there a local club? You might get a chance to learn about the different types and decide which is better for you.

You might like to consider a 12V hair dryer if you aren't happy about a dew shield. A quick waft over the offending areas usually is all it takes. Although dew prevention is better than cure, you can dry things off at the end of the night.

I've jumped in fairly quickly and got a couple of better EPs.

Beyond that I've started a 'wanted' list after my early observing sessions. Things are moving up and down the list.

I like the Telrad which came with my s/h scope.

I didn't get on with the straight through finder initially but I'm getting used to it. I'd like to get a 90 degree corrected one but it's dropped down my priority list.

I'd say get out there a few times and see what problems crop up.

I ended up buying a water butt stand and a sack of pea gravel. Doesn't appear on too many 'must have' lists but made my observing sooo much more comfy. :grin:

Lee

Hi ...

If you're thinking of making/buying a shroud then you probably wont need a dew shield. My Heritage 130p is the baby of the flex tube family and, personally, I found that the shroud I made (out of an old camping mat) didn't make much difference to my views of the sky, but it did cut out light from "ground based" sources. Also - I used an old film canister with a hole drilled in the top to collimate my 'scope and that worked fine too.

Hope this helps.

Archived