NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

quick view jupiter & moons sat 26th

i had a small window of viewing sat night between rain so out came dob and colled down ,

cast me eyes around and went for jupiter and wow great view i used my new 32mm plossel smashing

view so much to see i love it , then used 20mm and noticed a small light to the edge of jupiter i think it was one of the moons went to 6mm and could see it a moon really close did any one else see it which moon was it.

steve

Io was very close around 8pm on Saturday evening. It was transitting the surface of Jupiter and emerged at 7.46pm so you would have seen it sometime after that.

Check the Sky & Telescope Jupiter app for times and try to catch a shadow transit which are great to see.

Stu

I was looking at it on Sunday - best views Ive had since I got the scope in April last year.

I was able to see more than just two bands on Jupiter itself, a third one lower down was just visible. I noticed that the plane at which the moons seemed to lie in was not the same as the banding on Jupiter. Either I was wrong, of does Juipter spin at a different angle to the moons that orbit it ?

I would have thought the two would have been the same. Has something upset this, or is there not a reason they should be the same ?

I caught that same clear patch (I'm just a few miles away in Forest Hill) and got the C8 out to have a quick look at Jupiter. I was delighted to be able to show the transit of Io to Mrs Ludd and a little Luddlet, although Mrs Ludd could not see Io at all for some reason. Even though the scope had not had a chance to cool down, Jupiter was showing a huge amount of detail in an 18mm BST eyepiece (so about x112 magnification). I was glad that I'd listened to the weather forecast and got everything in before the torrential rain and thunder and lightning arrived!

Archived