Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

syncan controller laptop link

stevieR

Hi guys im almost there but can anyone tell me what i need to link my hand controller to my laptop. There is another port on it and i was told you can link fron here to laptop put itin pc direct mode then through eqascom guide the mount using an spc900. Its same size as the guide port on the mount.

OK the good news is that you can use the firmware upgrade cable which came with the mount...this has a serial DB9 end, so you may need a serial to USB adaptor (Keyspan recommended)

When this is connected between the handcontroller and the PC - fire up your planetarium program, I use Cartes du Ciel, select ASCOM driver, select Celestron, select Skywatcher type and the comms port # to suit the serial/ usb adaptor.

When you press "connect" it will automatical link to the scope. You don't need to worry about setting to PC Direct ( this is ONLY needed when you use EQMOD) - the handcontroller will automatically connect the mount to the PC.

Hope this helps.

For EQMOD & guiding - then yes you can set the same cable as above, but set the handcontroller to Utilities/ PC Direct. Not sure how you connect the webcam as a guider....

For EQMOD & guiding - then yes you can set the same cable as above, but set the handcontroller to Utilities/ PC Direct. Not sure how you connect the webcam as a guider....

Once you have EQMOD up and running with your planetarium, you would then use PHD Guiding. Click the 'Camera' icon to connect to your webcam (list of different camera types appear, select the appropriate one for your webcam). Then click the 'mount' button, and choose the appropriate EQMOD entry from the list. Start looping exposures, choose a guide star by clicking it on screen, then PHD will calibrate (usually takes a few minutes to complete) and starts guiding automatically. PHD sends the guide commands to EQMOD in software, and EQMOD sends the instructions on via the handset to the mount.

If you are going to go down the EQMOD/Guiding route long term you may find it simpler to just invest in an EQDirect adaptor instead of a USB-Serial adaptor ( http://eq-mod.sourceforge.net/reqindex.html ). This connects directly from the laptop USB to the mount via the D-Connector (you just leave the handset packed away in the box). You have to do polar alignment, star alignment, etc. via EQMOD and then use a planetarium (CdC or Stellarium, in which case you also need StellariumScope to get Stellarium talking to EQMOD).

OK the good news is that you can use the firmware upgrade cable which came with the mount...this has a serial DB9 end, so you may need a serial to USB adaptor (Keyspan recommended)

When this is connected between the handcontroller and the PC - fire up your planetarium program, I use Cartes du Ciel, select ASCOM driver, select Celestron, select Skywatcher type and the comms port # to suit the serial/ usb adaptor.

When you press "connect" it will automatical link to the scope. You don't need to worry about setting to PC Direct ( this is ONLY needed when you use EQMOD) - the handcontroller will automatically connect the mount to the PC.

Hope this helps.

thanks but i didnt get that cable with my heq5 mount, wher could i buy one or could i make it up. im a spark and have those connecters and cable would need to know what pins to wire on the serial end and the other. if there was a pic somewhere of each end up close that would be fab. i could make it to the desired length.

thanks again

Archived