Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Choosing my next scope...

Hey Guys,

Basically i'm currently saving for a new scope, but I don't know what to do... I really want a Dob, point and shoot for visual observing with no hassle is what i'm after!

I have a bit of work next month that should get me to about £360+, and I'm thinking whether to buy a 200 or a 250 dob... I'm swaying towards the 200 for a few reasons:

I need to be able to carry and set it up easily by myself.

I will be able to buy some nice accessories off the bat for it, like the telrad finder, and will have more money spare and will be able to save immediately for new eyepieces.

It seems like the best bang for the buck. An extra 50mm will cost £150+ which seems a bit excessive for me!

What are your opinions on this? Just want a second look from people who know more!

Thanks!

There is nothing wrong with the 200p skyliner its big enough to see most things transportable enough to go anywhere ( with a car) If you think you will struggle with the 250 (and you might because they are big) you are better off going smaller. it doesn't matter how big the scope is if you can't use it it's no good. The addendum in the maxim "Get the biggest scope you can" is always "and that you can manage comfortably"

It [200p] seems like the best bang for the buck. An extra 50mm will cost £150+ which seems a bit excessive for me!

Just on that point, at first glance it does appear that the extra 50mm can't be worth the extra £156 (FLO prices), but remember the extra light gathering capability is related to the square of the aperture.

The light gathering area is what is actually the most important thing, but everyone just talks about the diameter of the mirror for convenience.

A quick calculation shows that the 200p gives 109mm² per £. The 250p gives 110mm² per £. These are near enough the same to show that actually the price difference is eminently fair.

(You can work out the area of the mirror using πr² if you are so inclined, to replicate my calculations, and yes it is a bit of a simplification, but it is enough for this purpose)

Of course, as other posters note, if you can't actually move a larger scope it is of no use!

Clear skies.

Archived