Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Wedges

I still have my old Celestron Orange C8 SCT , it is complete with an old wedge ,It is difficut to adjust with all the weight of the scope.

I plan eventually to buy a CPC 9.25 SCT but I hear the Celestron Wedge is also difficut to adjust even with the upgrade kit.

So My question is where in this country can I get a suitable wedge for my old C8 and it must fit a CPC9.25 as well.

Oh! did I mention that I'm using a meade H/D field tripod and would like to use it with the new scope CPC9.25 when I eventully get one ,they are rock steady.

So what does the underside of the CPC look like is it flat with the usual 3 holes, I looked at the manual and it looks like there is a single big screw holding the scope on in alt-az I supose using the wedge it whould be same.

I would even be prepared to use a Meade wedge if it fitted the CPC.I suspect they don't ...can they be modded to suit.

I don't want to buy one of these big overpriced American wedges!

Any advice ?

Probably could modify a Meade to fit, but I am only guessing. Ther is a guy selling a Meade wedge on Astro Buy Sell for £50. It is for an 8" Lx 200 I think.

Pop over and have a look. I think the guys name is Albert, and he is from Durham?

Ron.

I know, but would the 8 inch be man enough for the 9.25 ....when I get it.... moon is big tonight but so much moisture it has a halo..

dave

Well I could not say yea or nay to that Dave. Perhaps you could ask Arthur at Ambermile in the retailers section. He is an engineer, and has produced wedges himself. I am not advising you to buy one, just to get his opinion on the capability of the Meade 8" wedge.

I have read a lot in the past about the poor quality of certain Meade EQ Wedges, but I do not have experience enough to give a personal assessment.

Ron.

I bought a Meade Super Wedge, which at the time cost me £499, and the engineering was appalling.

Too much flexure, too much 'slack between mating faces at pivot points, no 'bushes' where adjuster threads passed through the framework, and DEC and RA adjustments with unacceptable levels of 'backlash'.

After a lot of engineering work, it is now quite a reasonable 'wedge', and has served me well for the past 5 years.

So, my advice, is don't buy a Meade or Celestron wedge, unless you have the facilities and enthusiasm, to carry out significant engineering improvements.

Unfortunately, acceptable quality comes at a price, and there are viable alternatives around, If you are lucky you might pick one up second hand.

Dave

Dave

Archived