Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Amazing session in Manchester

skiorh

Dear All,

Just wanted to share my great observing experience from the last night. I live in central Manchester, UK, so given the moon was out on the clear sky I decided to take my scope out for a bit.

What a session!!

Only focused on the Moon and Jupiter but the seeing was great and I was surprised how much detail I could see, given the location. LP didn't bother observing at all (as you'd expect) and the atmosphere was willing to take even the highest mag with my 12'' dob (333x).

The moon was breathtaking - so much detail - incredible, I will have to look at some moon maps and be prepared a bit more for next time.

Jupiter view was the best I have had so far, at 333x magnification I could resolved about the hozirontal bands (about 4 of them) with the vertical features going across. With a bit of patience I could see the big spot and also after returning to it later at night I could clearly see a shadow cast by one if its moons.

This was my first Moon session with my new scope (you can probably tell how excited I am).

PS: I have used Explore Scientific eyepieces (82 nad 100 deg) and I know there is a lots of debating about ES vs. Televue. Just to add to the discussion I must says that for the moneys you definitely get what you paid for. I have owned an TV Ethos before and the difference is very minute. I suppose it's down to the 'feel' rather than actuall performance. Both TV and ES delivered spot on image all the way to the edge of FOV (in my 12'' f/5 dob), I felt that the ES eyepiece gave more of a 3D impression (when looking at the Moon) than Ethos, which was a bit more contrasty on the other hand. But as I said the difference in minute and it's very subjective.

Yes mate, it is.

I often think less of it, haha, cause it 'pollutes' the deep sky objects, but there is so much contrast on it, you can spend hours exploring its surface, it's a great object...

Archived