NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Focal reducer? need advice for NexImage 5

MarkSix

Hello All.

I need some advice. I a total novice at imaging and got myself a NexImage 5 cam a week ago.

I've been out two nights now despite the temperatures (-19C) and I have been trying and trying but I dont seem to get it to work.

Well the first time two nights ago my laptop shutdown after 20 minutes because of the cold.

So last night I gave it a try again and after setting the Icap softare to 4x4 binning I finally got something on my laptop.

There it was a part of Mare Tranquillitatis. But I would like to see more and have wider view so I was wondering if a focal reducer is what I need?

I have a C9.25 so think I get to much magninfication together with the cam. As I understand the cam is similar to a 5mm eyepiece.

I have been looking at the Celestron f6.3 focal reducer http://www.firstligh...al-reducer.html

Will this one help and is it a good choice?

Thanks

// Jarmo

The Neximage 5 is essentially a webcam? If so you could use the O.63 reducer but Atik used to do a 0.5x reducer that was much cheaper since it was only intended to cover a small chip, not a large on as with the 0.63. Indeed I thought Celestron did a little reducer as well, just for the fast frame cameras. I think I had one years ago.

However, I don't know why you weren't getting anything at native focal length. I'd have thought that should be easy. I'm a deep sky CCD imager with only a little experience of fast frame imaging. I'd suspect that you were struggling with focus or some other issue because the moon is bright enough for very slow F ratios.

Regarding the computer and the Swedish cold, you can buy heated metal panels designed to keep new born puppies warm and these panels don't mind getting damp - for obvious reasons!!

Olly

Jarmo,

Not familiar with the Neximage 5, however on my firefly and planetary imager these will not record/display the moon if the exposure is set too long or the gain too high. Perhaps some inbuilt cutout/protection? Once I set the gain to almost its lowest setting I found an over exposed (burnt out bright disk), I then had to set a higher shutter speed to be able to resolve any surface detail.

Tough enough doing this over here in -2/-3C, you must have BOS standing out in -19C! I had the same problems with my laptop with reduced battery life, even though I ran an extension lead out side when I plugged the charger in it just beeped and refused to charge the laptop. Mine gave me around 40 minutes recording at best.

Better luck next time - don't forget to wrap up and protect those extremities from the cold ;)

Jake

• 2 weeks later...

Well finally got something but unfortunally my laptop died again after a just few minutes so I only got one recording. :(

I think I need to replace the battery or is the cold (-9C)?.

Well this is my first ever Jupiter, It's from a single recording of 2000 frame stacked to 150.

I'm not familiar with any of the software iCap/Registax so hence the result.

// Jarmo

post-9497-0-63876900-1359921299_thumb.jp

Hej Jarmo,

I reckon you should be able to get far more out of the C925 and Neximage - probably want to barlow this up to x4 or x5 (without focal reducer if fitted) or with a 2x barlow plus the neximage extension tube if you have this. You should be able to get some excellent images provided you can keep the laptop warm.

Re the latop battery, I would imagine this is the cold as -2 causes mine to discharge quickly and not accept charge. Might be worth using some foam or neoprene insulation around the laptop to insulate it from the cold - pretty sure you will get away with restricting the airflow a little at -19C.

Jake

Hi Jake.

I have read your postings in the subject and read some other stuff and what I understand is that I need a barlow + extension tube and a little more humane temperatures. Doing the focusing in these low temepratures has been a real pain :(

I got my self a new ultrabook laptop with 8 hours battery time so I guees it will give some extra time to adjust things properly the next time I go out.

• 2 years later...

Hi I am thinking of buying a Neximage 5 as well as a focal reducer but not decided yet. As for the laptop I bought a Panasonic Toughbook that is supposed to perform in all weathers even wet, dusty and dew. Is the ultra book the same as a Toughbook?

Archived