Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Setting up HEQ5 and aligning?

I've been having some trouble with the alignment process of the HEQ5 (regular one with tracking motors).

I'll describe the process of what I'm doing as best as I can:

1. First up I place my mount and level it
  2. I take of the polar scope cap and screw cap for the setting circles and rotate the DEC so I can see through the polar scope.
  3. Next I rotate my RA so the bar of the counterweights is pointing down (vertical).
  4. I lower my latitude so I can align the reticule with a landmark about 500 meters away. I point the reticule crosshairs at the top of that landmark (antenna) and then I rotate in RA so the counterweight bar is pointing upward. after various attempts there was as good as no drift.
    PROBLEM: I once screwed the screwes a bit too loose I think and the reticule was moving around.. is this bad?
  5. I adjust the latitude to my position (~ 51°) and my mount/polar scope is pointing North to Polaris.
  6. Here comes the part which confuses my quite a bit:
    I need to get the reticule of Polaris pointing down (Polaris in transit) so to do this I need to rotate my RA axis. I understand that this is RA 0 on the scales, so I set it to ZERO and lock it in.
    I need to find out when Polaris was last in transit (HA) and set that time in the scales. But what do I do with the date scales?
    Is this manditory or just as a reference?
    For the reticule, when it's pointing down (Polaris in transit), how do I know it's pointing down perfectly?

Thanks for reading this, hopeing someone could clarify the process :D

Archived