Brining a cold telescope back into the house?

In the spirit of being encouraged not to worry that I'm sounding stupid, as a very new astronomer enjoying using his new shiny mak 127, can I pick your brains?

When brining my scope back in to the house after an evening of (very cold) viewing, as I did this evening, the lense, EPs included, all misted up. Is it best to leave all the covers on for a while outside, inside, or whatever? I realise that wiping the lenses is a no no, I just want to be sure that I'm treating my new favourite thing in the most respectful way possible.

Thanks all.

Always cap your optics before bring them back into the house and then leave them for the night. It will allow the scope to slowly warm up. Make sure the optics are dry before putting them back in their storage box.

If you have dew on you optics, don't wipe the dew. just leave it and it should evaporate by next morning. If not, just put it closer to the radiator.

Can you leave the scope in a shed, or garage, or even utility room?

Keeping the scope nearer to outside temperature will reduce cool down time on the way out.

On the way back in, it will reduce the amount of condensation.

Then fit the shed with a roll off roof and hey presto..... An obsy...

Typed by me on my fone, using fumms... Excuse eny speling errurs.

I'm having a job putting my new sky watcher 130 setting up,bigger than i thought,its the motor im stuck on then were to keep,my other half thought i was mad,talk about ear bashing,but wont give up,iv'e got a garage and 2 sheds,may i could cover it up after iv'e finished,bye for now

Always cap your optics before bring them back into the house and then leave them for the night. It will allow the scope to slowly warm up. Make sure the optics are dry before putting them back in their storage box.

If you have dew on you optics, don't wipe the dew. just leave it and it should evaporate by next morning. If not, just put it closer to the radiator.

Don't the optics/mirrors mind repeated heating/cooling/getting wet?

Mine hasn't been outside yet...

Don't the optics/mirrors mind repeated heating/cooling/getting wet?

Not so you'd notice, as long as they are allowed to dry out before storing.

For macs and SCTs, dessicant caps are useful. You can make them for about £1 or buy one for £30. The home made one's consist of 35mm film canisters (almost exactly 1.25" diameter) with holes punched in the end, filled with dessicant then capped. They fit in the 1.25" / 2" adaptor a treat.

Typed by me on my fone, using fumms... Excuse eny speling errurs.

Archived