NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Halos around stars

gajjer

Hi, just for a change, I decided to do a long exposure of M42 with a 500mm refractor. When I got round to processing I was surprised to see halos around the brightest stars.

Is this normal and what is the cause?

cheers

gaj

Hi Gaj, I'm pleased you liked the book.

If this is the telescope I think it is (Sky-Watcher Startravel 102) then it is indeed an achromat so sadly, I would not be at all surprised to see halos in images taken through it. If you use PhotoShop or PhotoShop Elements to process your images, you can buy a set of 'actions' by Noel Carboni that include a halo removal tool which can be quite effective.

Hi Nick

I will post a picture when I get home tonight.

Steve

That scope was bought for guiding - I was just playing. I have a SW 200PDS as my main scope. I was struggling with a 150PDS and an EQ3-2. ( see my post 'more on my pier' under DIY Astronomer ) Then I read in your book words to the effect 'you will need to guide eventually' and I knew I had to.

So I built a pier and bought an NEQ6 pro and the 200PDS and a whole bunch of other stuff. I came at this as a photographer - not as an astronomer. I am now getting the satisfaction of producing images I am happy with. Sure there are better on the web - but these are my images - I took them with my kit. Still have to get the guiding set up but there is lots to do in the mean time. Your book has been such a help. So much to learn.

cheers

gaj

Archived