Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Alt-Az head on EQ3 Tripod?

BargeGazer

Can anyone suggest a manual Alt-Az head, preferably with slow motion controls, that will fit on my tripod in place of the EQ3 head.

I want one as an alternative to use as a quick grab and go setup with my Mak 127.

All I have seen so far will only fit an EQ5/6 tripod.

Thanks

The EQ3-2 tripod head has the same fitting as the EQ5 / HEQ5 / Celestron CG5. The EQ6 is different though.

The AZ-4 should fit though it does not have slow motion controls. The Vixen Porta II might be another option that would work.

John, thanks. I had been told the heads were different.

It puts the SkyTee back on the list. FLO had said not compatible while Teleskop Express said it was. Just confusion I guess.

I will check when I actually see one. Trouble is I trust both these suppliers highly so didn't know which was right.

Thanks again.

While the Skytee II would, I think, fit onto the EQ3-2 tripod head, if yours has the alloy legged tripod it's not going to be a steady combination. The Skytee II is a heavy head and needs at least the 1.75" steel tubed EQ5 / HEQ5 tripod or even better the 2" steel tubed CG5 tripod.

John, thanks re comment re legs. I had missed that point.

I will rethink and probably go for a proper combination of tripod and head rather than a cludge.

A visit to a shop and a chat while looking at some examples seems called for.

Thanks everyone

David

Archived