Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Jupiter 15th January

stev74

Due to all the bad weather, I hadn't managed any imaging since the 10th of December!! Last Tuesday was great, clear skies for hours but it turned out the seeing quite variable and it was freezing so it was also a bit of a challenge keeping the secondary free form ice. Now that the weather has deteriorated again I've had a chance to process some AVI's and have a play around with all the free software tools that I have, with some interesting results. :smiley:

All 4 are of the same AVI taken with my DFK21AU618.AS Colour just processed differently....... basically to see what the differences are -

post-4224-0-73328000-1358815043_thumb.jp 1 - PIPP'ed, best 3k (from 10k) in AS!2, wavelets in R6, slight tweek in Image Analyzer.

post-4224-0-20320400-1358815234_thumb.jp 2 - PIPP'ed, Derotated in Winjubos, AVI repaired in Virtual Dub, best 3k (from 10k) in AS!2, wavelets in R6, causing a bit of an edge distortion!!?

post-4224-0-38569600-1358815970_thumb.jp3 - PIPP'ed, Derotated in Winjubos, AVI repaired in Virtual Dub, best 3k (from 10k) in AS!2, increased wavelets in R6, Tweeked in Image Analyzer.

post-4224-0-82215300-1358816274_thumb.jp 4 - To get rid of the edge issue and some of the noise in 3 I used GIMP to layer 1 and 3 together.

I think 4 is a good compromise and is a 30% (1) to 70% (3) blend also with the edge of 3 deleted to get rid of the distortion, it's a fair bit of extra work but I must say I'm quite enjoying the processing side now although I maybe over doing it a bit.... comments appreciated on that and anything else, thanks. :smiley:

Oh and for a bit of fun I also made a map from the AVI's for the first time using Winjubos although I wasn't out long enough for a full 360 degrees!

post-4224-0-74511100-1358817200_thumb.jp

Steve if you lower the LD value on the adjustment tab of image measurement in winjupos to .50 on your reference image you wont get that halo artefact when the derotated avi is generated.

Nice image map I've not figured that option out yet. :smiley:

Great thanks for the info Stuart, I was hoping the artefacts could be fixed in the settings, I have another couple of promising AVI's from the 15th, I can try the settings on them. For the image map you use .ims files to make it, there was a really good tutorial by Pete Lawrence on Winjubos in Decembers Sky at Night mag, it's worth a look if you can get a copy although I'm sure there must be online tutorials somewhere as well. :smiley:

Cracking images Steve :-)

Sent mobile

Thanks Martin. :smiley:

I wonder what kind of images I could get if I attached the DFK to your 22" monster dob..... if only the DFK came with a longer cable as I don't fancy trying to image on top of a ladder!! :grin:

Archived