NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Lunar Mosaic with Firefly MV Mono - First Attempt

SnakeyJ

Ok first time out with this, but mostly captured the moon before the mist set in - A rough and ready first attempt with the Firefly MV Mono, Red Filter and Firecap. This is shot from my back garden in Bembridge using my SW Explorer 200P on HEQ5 mount - For some unknown reason the charger refused to work with the laptop so I only got 40 mins outside and there was a little mist forming.

9 captures / panels of 1250 frames at 8 bits. Stacked using Registax 6, selecting best 50% frames. First time in anger with firecap and registax, so considerably out of my depth and it looks to me like the originals were under exposed and I've been too heavy with the waveletts.

It can only get better, provided the weather improves and some one points me in the right direction....

tn_gallery_26731_2317_330060.jpg

Jake

Its alright I just went onto your profile and found it ;)

That is gorgeous :)! I would certainly be over the moon with that (awful pun)

I don't think it is over-exposed and you definitely havent overdone the wavelets in my opinion.

I have only just stopped over-exposing my mosaic attempts...was it a red visual filter you used?

Dan

Its alright I just went onto your profile and found it ;)

That is gorgeous :)! I would certainly be over the moon with that (awful pun)

I don't think it is over-exposed and you definitely havent overdone the wavelets in my opinion.

I have only just stopped over-exposing my mosaic attempts...was it a red visual filter you used?

Dan

Thanks Dan - nice to get this feedback from someone using the same equipment, The filter was a cheap celestron red #25 14%T. I only have a basic selection at the moment, but tempted to source a IR-PASS (or make one from exposed C6 slide film) for lunar B&W as this cameras meant to be particularly sensitive at this end of the spectrum and I should get less atmospheric distortion.

It's a steep trajectory/learning curve, but pleased to have something to show for first attempt.

Any admins - please move this thread to Getting Started Imaging and pardon my over enthusiasm ;)

Archived