Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Polaris Transit

I understand polar alignement without any problems, but there are a couple of questions, the answers to which I can't find anywhere, someone may be able to answer the following:

• When people refer to the transit of Polaris, what are they talking about??....I know what "transit" means, one body passing across the disc of another, but what is Polaris transiting??
  • During alignement, software refers to the last time that Polaris transited. How does this aid alignement?? The last time Polaris transited may have been 6pm for example but I am polar aligning at 8pm so how does knowing that it transited at 6pm aid alignement??

I'm a visual observer, so I have never polar aligned to the accuracy above, I don't need to at the moment, but one day I hope to get into AP so understanding the above would be usefull.

Archived