Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Play in Eq5 mount

Hi guys

Today i noticed that there is a little play in the RA axis on my Eq5 mount, never noticed it before but the play is still there even when its all locked off.

Any idea's what this could be and how to fix or is this normal, when its all locked in position the scope very slightly rocks on the RA axis and makes a clicking noise.

So guys is this normal or should i get it sent back to FLO for a replacement???

Thanks Again

Andy Abigail

Think it is normal that there is some play, they cannot be made that good.

If correct Astro-Baby's site gives a guide to reducing the play on the HEQ5, and some should be applicable to the EQ5. It would however mean taking bits off to make the adjustments. It will be a bit of trial and error.

It is a compromise as if no play then the chances are that the drive mechanism is too tight and could fail or lock when in use. When imaging wmat people do is to set the OTA deliberately off balance so that the scope always keeps the weight one way and so reduces the movement.

There will be play as the mount when "locked" is under the control of the drive motors and their gearboxes. There must be a cartain amount of play between the teeth of the gears or they would lock up solid. That is what you are seeing. If you use the slew buttons you will find that there is a tiny delay when you change direction (of either axis) as the gearboxes have to "unmesh" and "remesh" each time in order to take up.

To be honest, I managed to adjust out all the play in the RA axis of my EQ3, DEC is a similar matter. Is it the same set up as an EQ3 with 4 allen bolts holding on the drive gear and a grub screw in the middle?

If so then indeed there is a fair bit of trial end error but it can be done.

Astro baby is the best person to ask. You can be almost certain with any kind of mechanical device your going to need some sort of service over time anyway. The gloopy grease on the synta mounts will eventually wear thin and worm gears will loosen because of it so with a small adjustmet I'm sure you'll pick up the slack in the mount.

Archived