NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Jupiter and Great Red Spot 15th Jan 2013

ejwwest

Interesting - I'm certainly not bagging PIPP here but I'd like to see you drop all the frames into AS!2 and select the same number you ended up with here to compare the results (obviously with the exact processing applications you've applied on this stack - which would be best done by starting again with each "raw" stack and processing them identically) - just for interest's sake.....

AutoStakkert crops, centres & selects/grades it's framelist as a result of it's own MAP's calculations and I'm skeptical about allowing another program to pre-determinie what AS!2 can and cannot use.....I know I abandoned Ninox which I understand is similar to PIPP in many ways for the selfsame reasons, finding no benefits whatsoever doing said..... :confused:

Interesting - I'm certainly not bagging PIPP here but I'd like to see you drop all the frames into AS!2 and select the same number you ended up with here to compare the results (obviously with the exact processing applications you've applied on this stack - which would be best done by starting again with each "raw" stack and processing them identically) - just for interest's sake.....

AutoStakkert crops, centres & selects/grades it's framelist as a result of it's own MAP's calculations and I'm skeptical about allowing another program to pre-determinie what AS!2 can and cannot use.....I know I abandoned Ninox which I understand is similar to PIPP in many ways for the selfsame reasons, finding no benefits whatsoever doing said..... :confused:

I'll have a try later when I get the time to also process a couple of other AVIs from last night. I started using PIPP when I got some weird results from AS2 where the bottom right quadrant was processed differently to the rest on some AVIs where the tracking was poor and Jupiter moved across the frame during the video. Castrator didn't fix it but pre-processing with PIPP did. It also sorts the frame quality making some things easier in AS2.

I had a go at just using AS2 and can't see any major difference between the version produced by pre-processing with PIPP (though I haven't inspected to great detail). I processed a couple of other AVIs takien a few minutes later using both and whilst PIPP reduced the "onion skin" effect it didn't, as hoped, eliminate it. This one looks the best from that night.

I'm using a (Japanese made) Orion 2x Barlow I got over 20 years ago. i suspect with the rest of the optics in my system, this is now the weak link in the image sharpness. Any suggestions on what to replace it with?

I had confirmed in Photoshop that the difference between the PIPP'd version and the non-PIPP'd version was almost nonthing. However, I used PSE to sharpen one layer and mix the layers to get a sharper and better contrast image:

post-19575-0-65395300-1358453560_thumb.j

Archived