Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

what eyepieces/filters would you recommend

bennylee79

hi people, i bought a skywatcher skyliner 200p second hand before christmas and it came with a 6mm, 10mm and 25mm eye pieces. What eyepieces and filters would you guys recommend? would one of the eyepiece/filter kits be better to buy? I'm looking for good all roundness as i look at both planets/moon and dso's. Cheers

Hi, I wouldn't rush into new EP's too soon as with what you have you have a reasonable spread to start with. Get to know what you can see with them first and then work out what gaps you need to fill which may well depend on what you like seeing.

For many of us the first thing we went was wider, say 32mm to help with finding things and getting more of the sky in view. A kit or a zoom lens would enable you to try out different lengths and decide what you like but the kit especially will often become largely unused after a while as you find the lengths you need. I have bought the Seben 8-24 zoom for this purpose which at c. £50 is less than most kits.

Filters even less needed at the beginning unless you have light pollution issues when a suitable LP filter may help. I asked FLO about a moon filter when I was starting and credit to them they said ' we will sell you one if you want but why don't you just put your sunglasses on instead."

If you are keen to buy now a post with an idea of your budget would help us be more specific.

cheers for the fast response. I dont really have a budget in mind all i was considering was buying individual versus buying a kit. Like you said the eyepieces i have give me brilliant views thats why i was after something to compliment them rather than just buying for the sake of it.

Everyone is different but I would tend to advise buying individual lenses/filters as needed rather than a whole kit. The cases that the kits come in are rather nice but you often end up with a couple of lenses that you hardly use in a kit. Also if you go for a kit from a more top end manufacturer you will spend a small fortune on it.

I have cherry picked the best lenses and filters that I can afford in the focal lengths that I most use.

I built up my lenses and filters slowly but they're all good stuff! :grin:

I have just bought one of these .http://www.firstlightoptics.com/moon-neutral-density-filters/variable-polarizing-moon-filter.html

One of the best thing i have bought.Great for Juipter & the moon.Would not be with out it.

Steve.

Moon filters are a god send :grin:

Archived