NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

First telescope as an investment will I want to upgrade a SkyWatcher Explorer Newtonian Reflector 130PL to soon?

Hi everyone.

Im so excited to be joining you all! and ive had great fun pottering around on this forum for quiet a while reading everybody elses' posts regarding advice on starter telescopes. Ive also been doing pleanty of research all over the place and visited Stagazing Live even near me. I know that everyone has differnt needs and i've found some reviews difficult to trust since people have such differnent expectations.

I have been thinking about getting a telescope for a long time and I spend a lot of time studing the night sky with my naked eye and now I am egar to see the planets for myself in greater detail and enjoy new discoveries. Ive got a basic knowlegde of science but I want to explore the magic of star gazing andj to see the beauty of the sky more closley.

My main requirements are:

1. to see the planets and moons - in particalar Saturn's rings and the bands of Jupiter rather than just faint outlines

2. to be portable - I want to take it out on my holidays or out into the countyside away from the light polllution of the main street which I live on.

I would like to invest in the best I can afford and not a basic one which I then find I want to upgrade soon after which costs me more in the long term. I know I will need to upgrade at some point but Id rather spend more initially. But I dont want to aragont and get something that is beyond my ability.

At first I was tempted by the Sky Watcher 200p with the EQ5 following many reviews. However when I saw the size I do not think it is for me given I want it to be portable.

I was thinking about the Skywatcher 130P as a very reasonable priced first telescope and has so many great reviews. But Im concerened that I will be slightly disapponted with the results of seeing the planets- I know I will be in awe of what ever I see but dont want to regret that I wish id paid a little bit more for a step up.

Ive watched many videos and looked at many images people have taken with the 130P and im definatly not expecting hubble results form anything but i know its hard to know what i will see as everyone's eyes are different- oh I should mention that I wear glasses for shortsightedness

I was also thinking about the Sky Watcher 150PL on a EQ3-2 given its in between but again its massive!

Can some one please help me I think I will be happy with the Skywatcher 130P but i was woundering if anyone had any similar thoughts when they purchased their first telescope and then wished they'd brought a slightly more advanced one

Thank you so much

Joanne

x

If you want views on planets then I'd say a 150PL is the minimum you want to go. I've used the vanilla 150P and a 130P and the 150P is the king of them.

Now, bear in mind that the EQ3-2 mount is a little strained by it the scope having 1200mm of focal length so I'd be tempted to recommend the dual axis motor for the mount to stop you having to manually track.

I do love the 150PL, wonderful instrument. I wouldn't worry about it being big because it isn't, it's just long and it's not that heavy.

You will se the GRS on Jupiter and the Cassini division on Saturns rings but you will want to upgrade the eyepieces at some stage but the F8 tube means you get basically a free upgrade on any eyepiece you use because it's more forgiving than the faster tubes.

First Light are doing a promo on the 150PL+EQ3-2 at the moment, saving you something like £25. Don't procrastinate too long.

I agree with James i think you will be happy with the 150pl. It's not the most portable of the 150p scopes but it is the best on planets and it is very forgiving of eyepieces which means it will not cost you a fortune to upgrade them. even though it's not the most portable it's not huge

The 150p has a shorter focal length which means it's shorter. It gives a wider view but not so magnified and because of the shorter focal length it will show up any deficiencys in cheaper eyepieces but it does give better framed and brighter images of dso's than the 150pl using the same eyepiece.

Hi, I bought the Skywatcher 130m last October and have been very pleased with it, it's given me a great start in astronomy and got me used to using an EQ mount. That was just 3 & a half months ago But for the last 2 months i've been thinking 'would Jupiter be better in a bigger scope? would I see more detail in m42 or m51?' etc, wishing i'd bought bigger, to the point that i'm picking up the 200p/EQ5 on Friday now as I just want that bit 'more'.

So with that in mind I'd say if its a toss up between the 130p & 150p, go for the 150p, BUT knowing what I know now I'd go for the 200p. Again I'm saying that only because i'm used to the 130 & know that i'll definatley use the 200p & have enough room in the car for it. Its a tricky one as you dont want something too big as to not been bothered to drag it out at a moments notice. Sooooo all that been said, the 150p will probably be the best option. Hope I havnt made your decision even harder :grin: and let us all know what u get.

Steve

Hi, I'm another 150PL owner. :smiley:

I've been able to observe loads of great night sky objects (planets, moons, nebulae, galaxies, star clusters), and as has been said it's easy to use: collimation is simple and rarely needed, your EPs will perform better than on a shorter tube (and higher power magnification - but slightly narrower field of view), and it's not that heavy. The only issue I have with it is the mount is just about strong enough after you add the accessories you will no doubt decide you need (such as better finderscopes)! Mine weighs in at 7.4kg with all the add-ons.

Thank you everyone. Thats been really helpful! and Steve that was exactly the kind of information im after. I think im decided im going to go for the Explorer 150PL and then i'll upgrade when i know a lot more about what path im going to follow- im sure at some point im going to want to take photographs but at the momement i want to enjoy being out and going with the flow.

I'll let you all know how i get on!

Thanks

Joanne

Hi James

Thanks for that. Price wise the Dobsonian 150p IS considerably cheaper does that mean its not going to be as good the Explorer 150PL?

I know price isnt the be all and end all but things are more expensive for a reason i guess. ?

Thank Alan

Ive done it!! I went with the Explorer 150PL. I did debate the Dobsion one but i thought about being able to upgrade the mount etc.

I went to First Optic and spoke to Martin. He is awesome!

I love the instant chat they have.

Thank you everyone. Thats been really helpful! and Steve that was exactly the kind of information im after. I think im decided im going to go for the Explorer 150PL and then i'll upgrade when i know a lot more about what path im going to follow- im sure at some point im going to want to take photographs but at the momement i want to enjoy being out and going with the flow.

I'll let you all know how i get on!

Thanks

Joanne

Excellent choice, the 150p will keep your interest for a long time & although I've never used one, its highly recommended on here by alot of people who know what they're talking about. Good luck.

Steve

If not asked already the next thing will be additional eyepieces once you get used to the scope and what comes with it.

The 150PL should get on fine with something like the Vixen NPL Plossl's (FLO again), £30.

Perhaps slightly better would be the BST Starguiders, once BST Explorers, (Skys the Limit) £47.

For Saturn you will want/need 120x to 150x to see reasonable detail, so around 8mm.

there's a mountain of things you can spend your money on and you WILL want to buy those extras but for the time being stick with what comes with the setup. it'll give you time to work out what order your purchases will be. (and its so easy to spend on those cloudy nights and you're sat at the pc ;)

Scott

Archived