Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Digital SLR Image Sensor Information

Coco

Interesting!

The max saturation appears to be the number of electrons falling onto a single pixel. Whether that's a single bayer pixel or a combination of bayer pixels I don't know.

The Sensorgen table is misleading though :( .. when they (for example the 550D) say the min read noise is 2.0 and the max saturation capacity is 23408 it doesn't tell you that you only get the min read noise of 2.0 at ISO 3200 and the max saturation of 23408 at ISO 100 - so it's either one or the other, not both at the same time.

They also don't state the ambient and/or sensor temperature at time of measurement (makes a big difference).

Thats why I asked the question Cath. I saw that the numerical values for read noise and saturation decreased as the ISO increased, although it would have made more sense to me if the read noise had increased as a result of raising the ISO.

And looking at the QE numbers, it appears to make the 55oD and 60D not look very good. Its the numbers for the 60D that surprised me.

So folks if money is no option then the best DSLR for AP at ISO 400 - 800 is???????

please advise a Yorkie luddite who's in the market ( I am reading MEPC and know what Steve advocates as a bare minimum)

over to you!

although it would have made more sense to me if the read noise had increased as a result of raising the ISO.

Read noise (in Canon's at least) decreases as ISO increases. That is why it is best to use high ISO for astro work IF you are read-noise limited.

NigelM

Archived