Best temp to keep scope stored at before long cold night to prevent dew

where do people keep their scopes before they go out on a long night with them, I have unheated shields for both scopes but plan on spending 4-5 hours out tonight in around 0c temp. Is it better to store in the house until you go out or maybe place them in the car to 'cool' down before going out... sorry if this has been asked previously.

Thanks

Steve

Hi steve, mine lives in a locked shed, unheated so its always at the outside temperature. I made the mistake of bringing the scope in to the house to collimate it. needless to say the primary and secondary fogged up to the point where i couldnt see the little circle on the primary lol. best to keep outside or at least give it an hour at outside temperatures to remove any warm air and to avoid misting up.

clear skies

Richard

Hi steve, mine lives in a locked shed, unheated so its always at the outside temperature. I made the mistake of bringing the scope in to the house to collimate it. needless to say the primary and secondary fogged up to the point where i couldnt see the little circle on the primary lol. best to keep outside or at least give it an hour at outside temperatures to remove any warm air and to avoid misting up.

clear skies

Richard

You're not alone doing this :grin:

To my mind it doesn't really matter about storing it in a particular way prior to an observing session. It is going to have to go outside anyway, so maybe an idea to just bite the bullet and set it up outside and leave it to cool down sufficiently. Perhaps put a cover over it while it is outside, but the temperature inside the tube will have to equalise to the ambient temp as well.

I just take mine straight from a warm house and set the whole thing up in the garden. Bringing it back inside after an observing sesh is a whole different thing entirely though.

Archived