NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

DSS and FIT Files (R,G,B)

Hello help please

To date I have been using my cannon and so I simply take the raw files into DSS and register and stack with no issues

I will soon be going CCD so things will be a bit different, I have been playing with GRAS and now have fit files for Red, Blue, Green and Luminance

So I stack each set in DSS and then combine in Photoshop

When I stack say the red fits files I expected to see a red image in DSS but all I see is a Gray image, same for Blue and Green etc.

I think in DSS I may need to change some settings in DSS in the RAW\FITS Settings but am not sure what to change, pointers appreciated

Regards

John B

You apply the colour in PS using the channels function. DSS will show no colour. Make sure you have used the same reference frame for each stack in DSS or the L, R, G and B will not align properly in PS. You can select the reference frame manually so include one particular L frame in each stack but obviously make sure it is not selected to be included in the R, G and B stacks.

Sorry, hopefully a better explanation this time.

When you stack in DSS it will choose which frame to use as a reference and then stack all the frames to that reference frame. If you just stack the L, then R, G and B, your 4 stacked images will not all be in the same orientation as a different frame will have been used in each stack. When you then put them in PS, they will not align properly.

To stop this happening, you can manually select which frame to use as the reference when you stack all your Ls. When you then stack all your Rs, also load up the L frame that you used as the reference, manually select it as the reference frame and then deselect it to ensure it is not included in the stack. Repeat using the same reference L frame in the G and B stacks. This way, when you then load the four stacks into PS, the R,G and B will all align when you combine then together using channels and the combined RGB will align to the L when you combine the L and the RGB together.

Hope that is a bit clearer now.

Archived