NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Which guide camera to use as planetary webcam?

cfpendock

Sounds interesting. The DMK seems to be mono. Is there one which is colour? I realise some sensitivity would be lost, but I do not have an RGB filter set, and it would be nice to have some colour. Perhaps this is not a good idea?

Chris

DBK/DFK are colour. A little less sensitive for guiding so you would need a decent sized guide scope (ST80) as you may struggle through a finder used as a guide scope. I've used my DBK on an ST80 without any problems, but fewer guide stars than with the DMK.

Thanks Freddie. I looked at your images of Jupiter on your album. Fantastic. Which camera did you use for these? I noted that the difference between the DBK and DFK is the inclusion of an IR cut-off filter for the DFK. What difference would that make? (Excuse my ignorance)

Chris

Thanks, the early ones were the DBK (old chip) and the latest ones with the DMK.

You need an IR cut filter as CCDs are sensitive to it so you can either attach your own (as I did with the DBK to ensure best quality) or get the DFK which already has one fitted. Having said that, the quality of the filter in the DFK looks to be spot on from what I have seen.

Archived