Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Celestron Advanced VX Mount

Chris Rowland

This new mount, to replace the CG-5 GT, was announced at CES earlier this week and FLO have some info on their web site.

I've had one for beta testing since late November and can now provide some information on how it works.

Basically I like it and I think it should work well as a portable mount for imaging.

it's been difficult keeping quiet about it for the last six weeks...

Chris

Yes, it sounds interesting. Hopefully there'll be one (or more) at Astrofest, so we can give it a poke. Though personally, I'd give any new mount several months after release to see how the production run really performs before I'd get my wallet out.

I have found out about this new mount as well. Looks great, but as I have only had my CG5 for a few months, I think i'll pass for now. I was more interested in Celestrons new Starsense Accessory (which is compatible with the new mount), but I am worried that it cannot be retrofitted to my CG5.

The blurb released by Celestron suggests that it isn't, but I have also read that it is. I have sent an email to Celestron to get the definative word.

Thanks Steve!

I am able to report that it works beautifully under the clouds, fully the equal of anything from AstroPhysics or Software Bisque under those conditions :)

Although right now it's outside doing some PEC training. I'm seeing just over 30" P2P.

As for holding a C11, I think it will be OK visually but probably not for imaging, especially at prime focus. It needs someone to try it.

Chris

Archived