Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

APT and focussing!

symesie04

Gentlemen

I think im correct in this but guess im just wanting some kind of confirmation before I spend the sponduleys.

I am considering buying a Canon 450d which is faulty with the mind to performing the mod for a bit of astro work. The camera apparently works in all respects except the LCD screen does not function. However im thinking that if i use APT that I can still display the live view output via the interface and use that to auto focus right? Im not missing anything am I? this should for all intensive purposes work right?

Thanks in advance gents (ladies)

Chris

Yes it should work, in fact first thing I do is turn off the display to avoid the unwanted light. The only issue I can think of is that you may need to change some settings (e.g. some of the custom functions).

All of the things that you would normally care about can be controlled through software provided the camera mode dial is in the appropriate mode (usually M for imaging/darks and Av for flats). I don't know if you can turn on/off things like long exposure noise reduction and a few of the other custom settings through software (either APT or the canon camera control application).

Thanks gents, informative.

Kirkster can you confirm that remote software will allow you to switch to bulb settings etc through its interface?

Hi Chris, no, you switch to bulb by moving the selector dial on the top of camera to "B"; you have to do this manually. You don't need to look at the screen for this. EVERY other feature is then controlled from APT via USB cable. I have never so much as touched the settings on the camera in any other way.

Rgds, steve

Archived