Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

observing site with flat southern horizon

crashtestdummy

Hi mate, seems like we are chasing the same thing, haha. I live in Manchester and try to look for observing sites further afield, I assume Wakey is as bad as here with LP. I have been probing Peak District and also West Yorkshire/Lancashire, around Settle area (all between 50 to 90 min drive for me) Since first observing with little light pollution I concluded that such a session is worth a lengthy drive.

How far are you prepared to travel?

Cheers

Matej

PS: We have a very similar scope and EP selection ;)

Its not too bad when i go to sutton bank and thats just over 60 miles but the weather hasnt been good up there recently.ive considered a few peak district sites but from my climbing days i cant remember any with flat southerly views.im prepared to travel an hour or so each direction on week nights to bag the last 2 orion area objects as i dont fancy waiting another year.

I have been observing M42 near Preston on Saturday - and it was breathtaking, definitely want to catch it again against darker sky before Orion drifts away. I was thinking of going to Peak District tomorrow night but so far the weather forecast is 50/50, it might get a bit foggy higher up. I have been to a couple places in Peak District in the past. This one has one of the darkest skies there in my opinion. 53.347477,-1.803696

Also there is a top spot in Yorkshire Dale I used a couple times is here 54.08708,-2.146885 Miles and miles of countryside to the south with no LP glow from there, unfortunately it is a bit further out - 1 1/2 hr drive for me..

Archived