Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Results from first go with SLR

Rob

Poor!!.... well sort of poor. The stars came out on the film, but the back ground was not black... more Light blue!!. I think I may have taken the shots too early? (pre 11.15pm).

I had 4 shots from 10 that actually came out!. The north cross & vega mostly. Each taken with 25 seconds @ f1.8. The house (partly in the shot) looks almost yellow???????.

Thoughts?.

Taking a re think on buying a Fuji finepix S5500 with part manual controls that allow a 15 sec exp. To use as a family camera also

Rob

The processing of film comes out huge in the end. It's nearly useless to give it to the drugstore automated machine place. You need to take it to a reputable developer-some camera shop or other. Tell them it's astrophotos and the sky should be grey, not black. This may help.

Quite possibly the film was responsible for the funny colours, Rob. There again, if it was a print film and the colours were in the resultant prints, it's even more possible that the fault was at the printing stage. Most finishers haven't a clue what an astrophoto should look like. :?

Rob if you have a jessopes near you they do quite a good job from what i have seen in the past from people i know that use film and process at jessope's. I would agree with Andy that they didnt know what they were doing or even forgot they were astro pic's..

Better luck next time matey.

James

Your best bet is to have the negatives scanned onto CD (both Jessops & Boots offer this service in the UK). You can then upload the CD to your PC & use the likes of Photoshop or Paint Shop Pro to alter the colour balance, contrast etc. til you get an image you're satisfied with. :)

Your best bet is to have the negatives scanned onto CD (both Jessops & Boots offer this service in the UK). You can then upload the CD to your PC & use the likes of Photoshop or Paint Shop Pro to alter the colour balance, contrast etc. til you get an image you're satisfied with. :)

That sounds a fantastic idea!!..... will save money to boot!

Any advice / website available to help me with this project?.

Thanks

Rob

P.s can a normal scanner work to the job. we have a nice HP one at work!

You'll need a negative/transparency scanner (as opposed to a flatbed one). If you get it done by the likes of Boots or Jessops, you'll be assured that it is scanned with a top of the range, modern one (my one, for comparison, is seven years old)!

Although I had a film scanned by Jessops a couple of years ago, I can't find a link to it on their current website - though I'm sure they still offer the service.

Boots has a link at http://www.boots.com/microsites/microsite_info_template.jsp?contentId=4162#4

You could also try the likes of this company which I have used for processing my films for several years now:

http://www.the-darkroom.co.uk/index2.html (click on 'Digital' from the menu on the left).

Archived