Orionid ? last night

At about 11:50 last night I saw a very bright meteor cross all the sky that I could see. It came from NE starting about 25 degrees up (clearing the houses) and went out of view at about 30 degrees in the opposite direction. No sound was heard and I couldn't see any bits coming off it or any colour. The trail was about 5 degrees long, unless that was the "persistence of vision" thing. An Orionid perhaps? If so, the peak could be spectacular if there are some more of those.

Kaptain Klevtsov

Hi

I am sure I saw it, and I saw it day before yesterday at exactly the same sort of time and place that KK mentioned. It was a very bright streak. When I thought I must have been mistaken, a friend of mine, who was just looking up at the sky with me, pointed towards it.

Regards,

Prasad

At about 11:50 last night I saw a very bright meteor cross all the sky that I could see. It came from NE starting about 25 degrees up (clearing the houses) and went out of view at about 30 degrees in the opposite direction. No sound was heard and I couldn't see any bits coming off it or any colour. The trail was about 5 degrees long, unless that was the "persistence of vision" thing. An Orionid perhaps? If so, the peak could be spectacular if there are some more of those.

Kaptain Klevtsov

I saw exactly the same on Weds night as I was packing up same time direction etc....uncanny.

Setting up the scope afew minutes ago, just sighted Altair for alignment and saw a bright streak which lasted for a few seconds before fading quickly? SW to NE direction - roughly

Time of sighting 19:14

Any ideas?

Hugh

• 2 weeks later...

Archived